The Center for Food Allergy conducts research through the Järvinen-Seppo Laboratory, which studies the immunologic factors present in human milk and how those factors may modify developing immune systems for infants and their oral tolerance to foods. For more information on our research program and our team members, please visit the Järvinen-Seppo Lab site.
Our birth cohort study, “Development of Mucosal and Systemic Immunity and Risk of Food Allergy,” is assessing development of infant immune system and microbiome in infants at high-risk and at low-risk for food allergies. For this purpose we are recruiting infants born into families with a history of allergic diseases and into the Old Order Mennonite community and their mothers for a follow-up of two years.
For interested volunteers please call Barbara Johnson at (585) 275-8991.
- Mechanistic Correlates of Clinical Responses to Omalizumab in the Setting of Oral Immunotherapy for Milk Allergy. Frischmeyer-Guerrerio PA, Masilamani M, Gu W, Brittain E, Wood R, Kim J, Nadeau K, Jarvinen KM, Grishin A, Lindblad R, Sampson HA. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 Apr 13. pii: S0091-6749(17)30589-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2017.03.028. PMID: 28414061
- Human milk oligosaccharides and development of cow's milk allergy in infants. Seppo AE, Autran CA, Bode L, Järvinen KM. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 Feb;139(2):708-711.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2016.08.031. Epub 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27702672.
- Demographic, Reproductive, and Dietary Determinants of Perfluorooctane Sulfonic (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) Concentrations in Human Colostrum. Jusko TA, Oktapodas M, Palkovičová Murinová L, Babinská K, Babjaková J, Verner MA, DeWitt JC, Thevenet-Morrison K, Čonka K, Drobná B, Chovancová J, Thurston SW, Lawrence BP, Dozier AM, Järvinen KM, Patayová H, Trnovec T, Legler J, Hertz-Picciotto I, Lamoree MH. Environ Sci Technol. 2016 Jul 5;50(13):7152-62. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.6b00195. Epub 2016 Jun 14. PMID: 27244128.
- Role of Maternal Dietary Peanut Exposure in Development of Food Allergy and Oral Tolerance. Järvinen KM, Westfall J, De Jesus M, Mantis NJ, Carroll JA, Metzger DW, Sampson HA, Berin MC. PLoS One. 2015 Dec 10;10(12):e0143855. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0143855. eCollection 2015. PMID: 26656505.
- Managing nut-induced anaphylaxis: challenges and solutions. Lomas JM, Järvinen KM. J Asthma Allergy. 2015 Oct 29;8:115-23. doi: 10.2147/JAA.S89121. eCollection 2015. Review. PMID: 26604803
- Impact of elimination diets on growth and nutritional status in children with multiple food allergies. Berry MJ, Adams J, Voutilainen H, Feustel PJ, Celestin J, Järvinen KM. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2015 Mar;26(2):133-8. doi: 10.1111/pai.12348. PMID: 25640977.