Partial Hospitalization Service
Part of Strong Memorial Hospital
Our Child and Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Service is the only program of its kind in the Upstate New York area. The program serves as an alternative to psychiatric inpatient admissions or re-hospitalization for adolescents between the ages of 12 to 18 who do not require the security of a secure inpatient unit. It is also utilized for at-risk adolescents who are in need of a step-down from an inpatient psychiatric hospitalization. The program includes a school component during the academic year, as well as several hours of group therapy daily throughout the year. The average length of stay is three weeks, although this depends on individual patient needs.
The Strong Child and Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Service is for patients 12 to 18 years of age who are:
- Able to demonstrate safe and cooperative behavior to benefit from this intensive treatment
- At risk for hospitalization
- In transition from an inpatient hospital stay
- Experiencing significant functional impairment at home, in school, or in the community, despite the efforts of current outpatient providers
Services We Provide
Children and adolescents in our program receive partial hospitalization services including:
- Approximately six hours of treatment, Monday through Friday
- Treatments such as:
- Individual, group, teen, milieu, and family therapies
- Psychiatric medication options
- Proactive and intensive treatment:
- When coupled with time spent at home on evenings and weekends, patients are able to practice skills in coping with their various stressors
- Patients then return to program to discuss what is and is not working
- This team approach allows patients and families to feel like partners in treatment rather than alone in their struggle
We receive referrals to the Partial Hospitalization Program from physicians, psychiatrists, outpatient child psychologists, parents, school personnel, and other collateral agencies both in and outside of Monroe County.
Referral Form for Outpatient Providers
Important Note: This referral form is for licensed clinicians only. Patients and families cannot self-refer.
Download the Referral Form.
Patient Documents and Tools
Location and Driving Directions
Child and Adolescent Partial Hospitalization
Strong Memorial Hospital
300 Crittenden Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14642