The University of Rochester Medical Center will celebrate the opening of its Women’s Health Center at Lattimore on Monday, April 30, with a ribbon-cutting and tours for invited guests.
Earlier this month, Strong Memorial Hospital relocated and expanded its Women’s Health Practice and Ob/Gyn Ultrasound service from the hospital’s ambulatory care facility to 125 Lattimore Road. The newly renovated space was expressly designed to meet the outpatient ob/gyn needs of women. Renamed the URMC Women’s Health Center at Lattimore, this community-based setting is close to the hospital and affords easy access for patients.
“The Women’s Health Center at Lattimore enhances our ability to deliver care and ultimately improve health outcomes and reduce disparities for many who find it a challenge to come to appointments at the hospital,” says James R. Woods Jr., M.D., Henry A. Thiede Professor and Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at URMC. “Additionally, this new location will serve as a medical home for women’s health, enabling us to offer extended hours and enhancing our ability to provide coordinated care for our patients.”
The Women’s Health Center at Lattimore enhances our ability to deliver care and ultimately improve health outcomes and reduce disparities for many who find it a challenge to come to appointments at the hospital.
The Women’s Health Center at Lattimore serves all women in need of outpatient general and special obstetric and gynecological care. Other services include ultrasound, fetal monitoring, genetic counseling, laboratory testing, and support such as nutritional counseling, social work services, and financial assistance for health care services.
“Women in our community have a beautiful, new facility in which to receive their health care,” said Woods. “The center is designed for timely patient flow, offers free parking, and is accessible by RTS bus service, which also takes patients to and from the hospital if they need to pick up prescriptions or are in need of other services.”
While care providers at the previous location in the hospital’s ambulatory care facility saw 23,000 patients annually, the Lattimore Road site will have capacity for 30,000 visits per year, helping to meet a growing demand for services in a more timely and efficient manner.
“The decision to relocate was, in large part, due to the need for more space to expand our program,” said Darlene Walker, R.N., M.S., nurse manager for the center. “We were not always able to provide timely services, being limited by inadequate space for exams and consultations. Also, we lacked dedicated space for other vital services such as social work and nutritional support. Our new center allows us to provide these greatly needed services.”
Open to all women, the Women’s Health Center at Lattimore offers:
· General Ob/Gynecology, including family planning, urogynecology, chronic pelvic pain care, obstetrical care for high- and low-risk pregnancy, and outpatient procedures including colposcopy, anoscopy, Lletz, and birth-control device insertion. Ancillary services will complement care for patients, including social work, nutrition, financial case management, and behavioral health.
· Special Care Clinic, providing services to high-risk obstetric patients from the community and throughout the region. Education, nutritional and social-service support are integral to the care of these patients, who deliver their babies at Strong Memorial Hospital.
· Ob/Gyn ultrasound imaging, for early pregnancy detection, later pregnancy fetal anatomy, fetal heart-rate monitoring and ultrasound-derived assessment of fetal health, gynecology assessment of reproductive tract abnormalities, and evaluation of post-menopausal bleeding.
· Genetic counseling, for pre-pregnancy evaluation and for pregnancy-related ultrasound abnormalities or abnormal results from genetic assessment during pregnancy.
· Laboratory support, making blood and urine testing easily accessible and more efficient and timely for patients.
For information or appointments, please call (585) 275-2691.