Vaccine Shortage Leads to Cancellation of Community Flu Clinics
Due to a shortage of available flu vaccine, the University of Rochester School of Nursing Flu Immunization Program will be canceling the remainder of its scheduled public flu clinics effective Oct. 20. In addition, three other clinics slated for this week have been canceled.
“It is never an easy decision to make but we extended our seasonal flu vaccination program into the community as far as we could go with an emphasis on vaccinating the highest risk populations first,” said Bill Russell, R.N., M.S., director of the University’s Flu Immunization Program. “Attendance at our clinics has been up by more than 30 percent at all of our locations. But with one-third less vaccine on hand, we have no choice but to suspend the program.”
Russell attributes the shortage in part to a decrease in the production of seasonal flu vaccine as manufacturers have worked to produce the H1N1 vaccine. If more seasonal flu vaccine becomes available, immunization clinics will be rescheduled. In the meantime, Russell recommends people who still want vaccinations check with their primary care doctors about availability.
Clinics scheduled for this week that have been canceled are:
- Wed., Oct. 14: 2-6 pm Hegedorn’s, 964 Ridge Road, Webster
- Fri., Oct. 16 8 am-12 pm Eastside YMCA, 1835 Fairport Nine Mile Point Rd., Penfield
- Sat., Oct. 17: 9 am-1 pm Pittsford Fire Hall, 8 Monroe Ave., Station #1, Pittsford
Clinics scheduled for this week that will be held as planned are:
- Thurs., Oct. 15: 10 am-4 pm Alesi Health Fair /Dome Center, 2695 E. Henrietta Rd.
- Sun. Oct. 18: 9 am-1 pm West Webster Fire Dept., 1051 Gravel Rd., Webster
- Mon., Oct. 19: 9 am-1 pm Brighton Recreation Center, 220 Idlewood Rd.
For more information, call (585) 275-4816.