5 Tips for Getting Through the Flu
Flu shots aren’t perfectly effective for every person every year, but they’re our best chance against fighting off and spreading illness.
So if you got the flu in spite of getting the vaccine, or you skipped your flu shot and are now under the weather, UR Medicine's Dr. Michael Kamali shares tips to help quell your symptoms and get well.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of the right fluids, such as water, juice, or sports drinks.
- Take pain/fever relievers. Choose ibuprofen or acetaminophen (Tylenol) as needed.
- Get plenty of rest. Avoid spreading the virus by staying home.
- Wash your hands often. Use soap and clean, running water. Air dry or use a clean towel.
- Go to the doctor. If you have trouble breathing, are severely dehydrated, or the illness affects your other health conditions, seek emergency or urgent care.
Michael F. Kamali, M.D., is chair of Emergency Medicine at URMC. UR Medicine Urgent Care has convenient locations in Pittsford, Penfield, Perinton, Henrietta, Greece, Spencerport, Farmington, Newark and Hornell.
Lori Barrette |