The Gilbert B. Forbes Scholar Program enables outstanding scientists of high national and international prominence in biomedical, translational, clinical, or health services research, to visit the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
During the two day visit, Forbes Visiting Scholars:
- Lecture on their research and related cutting edge issues in their field.
- Participate in Work-in-Progress sessions with selected trainees and their mentors.
- Consult with selected faculty on an individual basis.
- Participate in Roundtable Discussions with senior members of the Department of Pediatrics and Medical Center to discuss research areas for targeted development.
- Meet fellows, residents, and medical students at a trainee reception to discuss the Scholar's career and provide expert career advice.
Forbes Visiting Scholar
Our 2019 Scholar
Robert Blum, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., is the emeritus William H. Gates, Sr. Professor Bloomberg School of Public Health and the immediate past Director, Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute. He has edited two books, and has written over 300 journal articles, book chapters and special reports. Past-President of the Society for Adolescent Medicine he has served on the American Board of Pediatrics; is a past chair of the Guttmacher Institute Board of Directors and was inaugural chair of the National Academy of Sciences Committee on Adolescent Health. In 2006, he was elected into membership into the NAM. He is a consultant to The World Bank, UNICEF, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) where recently he authored the guidance on adolescent pregnancy, the WHO where he has served on the TAG of the MCH Department as well as the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group of the Human Reproductive Program.
View the October 30, 2019 Forbes lecture.
Contact: Rachel Bills, Administrator,