The Gilbert B. Forbes Scholar Program enables outstanding scientists of high national and international prominence in biomedical, translational, clinical, or health services research, to visit the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
During the two day visit, Forbes Visiting Scholars:
- Lecture on their research and related cutting edge issues in their field.
- Participate in Work-in-Progress sessions with selected trainees and their mentors.
- Consult with selected faculty on an individual basis.
- Participate in Roundtable Discussions with senior members of the Department of Pediatrics and Medical Center to discuss research areas for targeted development.
- Meet fellows, residents, and medical students at a trainee reception to discuss the Scholar's career and provide expert career advice.
Forbes Visiting Scholar 2023
Bruce D. Gelb, M.D.
Dean for Child Health Research, Gogel Family Chair and Director, The Mindich Child Health Development Institute, Director of the Center for Molecular Cardiology, and Professor of Pediatrics and Genetics and Genomic Sciences, Mount Sinai
Dr. Gelb returned to Rochester, where he earned his Medical Degree, to meet with our doctors, staff and families. Dr. Gelb is now a national expert and, with his quest to discover what causes congenital heart disease, has developed an extensive program in genomics and gene investigation, focusing on traits associated with health malformations. He has over 80 publications and has devoted his career to caring for children and to research.
Notably, Dr. Gelb is a distinguished recipient of the E. Mead Johnson Award from the Society for Pediatric Research and the Norman J. Siegel New Member Outstanding Sciences Award from the American Pediatric Society. He has served as President of the American Pediatric Society and the International Pediatric Research Foundation and as Chair of the Pediatric Academic Societies. He is the current President of the International Pediatric Research Foundation and a council member of the American Pediatric Society.
Contact: Shannon Weekes, Administrator