When preparing to breastfeed or navigating the challenges of breastfeeding, having help and support can make the process a lot easier. Below, you will find resources provided by UR Medicine, as well as community resources that can connect you with other local experts and breastfeeding mothers who know what you’re going through.
Virtual Support Group
- If you or your baby are facing unique challenges that are making your breastfeeding journey difficult, our virtual drop-in group can help.
- Register now to get the link to our virtual meeting - every Tuesday 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
In Person Support Group
- The in-person support Group meets every first and third week of each month - Tuesdays 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
- UR Medicine Breastfeeding & Lactation Services
125 Lattimore Rd., Suite 280 , Rochester NY 14620
Call (585) 276-MILK (6455) with any questions.
Classes: Prepare for Breastfeeding with Confidence
What are the benefits of breastfeeding? How can you tell when your baby is hungry? What are the best positions for breastfeeding? These are some of the things you will learn in our breastfeeding classes.
Learn about our Zoom breastfeeding class. Breastfeeding classes are offered at Strong Memorial and Highland Hospitals:
Baby Cafés: Local Support for Expectant and New Parents
Baby Cafés are currently being held virtually. Please check the Rochester Regional Breastfeeding Coalition website for dates, times, and details on how to join.
We are proud to offer a free drop-in group called ROC City Baby Cafés. Baby Cafés provide guidance for parents who are breastfeeding and lactating to help them reach their breastfeeding goals. Expectant parents who are planning to or considering breastfeeding and would like additional information are also encouraged to attend.
Baby Cafés feature support from certified lactation support staff (e.g. registered nurses, Certified Lactation Consultants, IBCLCs) as well as WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors. Baby Cafes offer the opportunity to share experiences and make friends in a comfortable open-forum. Older children are welcome and lights snacks are available. Bus or parking vouchers are provided if needed/requested.
Breastfeeding Drop-In Support Group
Group support will continue every Tuesday via Zoom and the third Tuesday will meet in person. Please obtain our meeting ID and passcode for Zoom in advance.
Gain the skills and confidence you need from experts alongside other families who are going through similar experiences.
We can help if:
- You want expert help for breastfeeding
- You or your baby has a medical condition that is making it hard to reach your goals
- Your baby was premature or was treated in the NICU
- Your baby has been diagnosed with a tongue tie, dysfunctional suck, or torticollis;
- You are suffering from low milk supply or recurrent breast infections
- Your partner wants to share in breastfeeding/chestfeeding responsibilities
Our group is facilitated by an experienced R.N. and lactation consultant (I.B.C.L.C.). For more information about our services, call UR Medicine Breastfeeding at (585) 276-MILK.
For Breastfeeding Café information, please visit the Beautiful Birth Choices website.
For additional resources, visit:
Visit La Leche League of Rochester, NY on Facebook to find up to date virtual drop-in support group meetings for the Rochester Chapter.
Questions or concerns about appropriate locations and temperatures for storing breastmilk? Download a copy of our human milk storage guidelines.
Questions or concerns about marijuana use? Review our recommendations about what to consider so we can help you and your baby live a healthy life.