Applied Behavior Analysis
Families should contact their insurer to determine if this is a covered service and for recommendations for providers.
- Empire Justice Center - The Empire Justice Center's mission is to protect and strengthen the legal rights of people in New York State who are disabled, poor, or disenfranchised through high quality individual and systems change advocacy.
- Finger Lakes Parent Network - A parent-governed organization, focused on the needs of children and youth with emotional, behavioral, developmental, or mental disorders and their families. Their mission is to support and empower families so that they can improve the quality of their lives and help their child to achieve his or her full potential within the community.
- New Directions Youth and Family Services - A family support coordinator (FSC) works with families of children having an emotional, behavioral, or socially handicapping condition. The FSC oversees the provision of three support groups for parents and provides support, advocacy, educational resources, and information regarding special education services. This program is funded by the New York State and Niagara County Offices of Mental Health.
- New York Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities - A resource directory assisting with finding educational consultants, psychologists, educational diagnosticians, and health care providers among others.
- Parent to Parent New York State
- Starbridge, Inc. - The goal of Starbridge is to deliver consumer-driven services including information sharing, individual advocacy support, service coordination, and educational workshops to support people with disabilities and their families.
- Families Together in New York State: Western Region Family Services Directory - A resource directory assisting families with finding services, advocacy, and information.
- Youth Advocacy Program - A program of the Legal Aid Society of Rochester. The purpose of the Youth Advocacy Program is to provide legal representation, educational advocacy, advice, and counsel to youth and their families in education related cases. Cases can involve issues of access to school, residency, special education and long-term suspension.
- Family Voices - Provides advocacy for families of children with disabilities.
Education and Learning
- Back to school transition tool for Fall 2020 - For many, the transition back to school may be complicated by COVID-19. The “Student Snapshot” can be used to capture important information about a student that can be shared with the new school team. The pdfs are fillable or can be printed out. It is suggested that the Snapshot is completed with input from the student, if possible. An English and Spanish version are provided. English Version | Spanish Version
- Daystar for Medically Fragile Children
New York State’s only pediatric day-respite program designed specifically to meet the needs of families with children as young as six months through age five who are coping with serious medical conditions and developmental complexities.
- Early Childhood Direction Center (Binghamton)
- Early Childhood Direction Center (Rochester)
- Early Childhood Direction Center (Syracuse)
- EnCompass Resources for Learning
A not-for-profit organization that provides innovative educational services to students who struggle to learn and to the families, schools and professionals that support them. These services are matched to each student's unique learning style in order to achieve success and enhance lifelong learning.
- Gallaudet University
Provides information on education and interventions for children with deafness.
- Nazareth College Wellness and Rehabilitation Institute
Offers physical therapy, speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, art therapy, kids clubs, a language and literacy clinic, and music therapy. Services are provided by Nazareth students and low cost to families.
- NYS Department of Education
Has info on IEPs, accessing services, and how special education works.
- NYS Early Intervention Program
- NYSED School List
Displays a comprehensive list of schools devoted to various disabilities in New York State. Can be sorted by region or alphabetically.
- Starbridge Inc.
Helps children and adults with learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder (ADD/ADHD), and other developmental disabilities seek personal success in school, work, relationships, and independent living.
- Wisconsin Public Instruction (WPI)
Provides information on addressing health care needs in educational settings.