MRI Equipment and Resources
The heart of the CABIN is a Siemens MAGNETOM Prisma 3T whole-body scanner that includes:
- A gradient system of maximum amplitude of XR 80 mT/m @ 200 T/m/s, and high order shim
- 64-channel and 20-channel head and neck coils (capable of parallel imaging using SENSE/GRAPPA), with dedicated brain pulse sequences allowing many types of research applications.
- Simultaneous multiple slice (SMS) techniques for acquisition of BOLD and DTI results in time saving, higher spatial/temporal resolution, and/or combinations of each.
- Spine Dot Engine provides optimized cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine imaging.
- Full assortment of other coils including extremity and body coils as well as small animal custom coils, which allow a wide range of other applications, such as musculoskeletal, cardiac, liver and animal imaging.
- A research agreement with Siemens Healthineers to provide access to pulse sequence programming platform, access to on-going work-in-progress (WIP) software packages, and exchange agreements with researchers in other institutes.
Additional equipment is provided for stimulus presentation and subject response and physiological monitoring:
- Computer interfaced with the scanner for synchronization, video display (in room BoldScreen 32, Cambridge Research Systems, with refresh rate up to 120Hz), audio equipment (SereneSound audio system, Resonance Technology Inc. 30dB gradient noise attenuation, 40Hz to 40kHz frequency response, active noise cancellation patient microphone), microphone and response boxes (fORP 904 Subject Response Package, Cambridge Research Systems) to present stimuli and record subject responses
- Standard software packages for stimulus display and response recording (e.g., Presentation, E-Prime, Psychophysics Toolbox and MATLAB).
- FIRMM, NOUS Imaging Inc. system provides real-time monitoring and biofeedback technology that addresses the problem of patient motion during brain MR.
- BIOPAC system (BIOPAC Systems, Inc.) for recording of physiological signals in the MRI environment such as: Electrocardiogram (ECG), Temperature, Respiration, Pulse Wave, ETCO2 and O2 Gas Recording and Analysis, Pulse Oximeter (SpO2). The accompanying AcqKnowledge software allows physiological data viewing, measuring, transformation, and analysis.