Lorna E. Patanella, N.P., Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Ms. Patanella initially joined the University of Rochester as an R.N. on the adolescent in patient unit in 1994, and upon completion of her master’s degree in nursing joined Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics in 2000 as a nurse practitioner for our clinical services.
Prior to working in at the University of Rochester, she worked as an R.N. at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital providing care to children with orthopaedic and neurologic needs. Ms. Patanella is the medical consultant to the Greater Rochester Spina Bifida Association.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the medical needs for children with various motor disabilities like cerebral palsy and spina bifida and coordinates care with other specialists
- Evaluates children with spasticity and administers Botox injections if indicated and manages Intrathecal Baclofen Pumps
- Provides medication management and support for children with complex neurodevelopmental and behavioral issues like autism, ADHD, and intellectual disabilities
- Works with the pediatric urology team to coordinate care for children with spina bifida and related conditions
- Coordinates care and management with the pediatric orthopedic team for children with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and related conditions
- Collaborates with the adult psychiatry department to facilitate care for young adult patients with motor impairments
Patient Care Profile
Ms. Patanella has always cared for children with developmental disabilities throughout her various positions. She values working collaboratively with the children and teens that we care for and their families to maximize their skills, reduce their distress, and promote their independence. She enjoys working with children of all ages and has a particular interest in working with adolescents to help them develop the skills needed to become effective self advocates and independent adults.
- 1999, University of Rochester, Leadership and Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities Fellowship
- 1999, University of Rochester, Master Science in Nursing, Care of Children and Families
- 1988, Texas Woman’s University, Bachelor Science in Nursing