* Paused* Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams
Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams is a three day camp for children (entering grades 2 - 11 in September 2020) who are adjusting to the death of a loved one. Developed by Licensed Master Social Workers, this camp promotes understanding, acceptance, healing and hope through a comprehensive program of activities. It is staffed by credentialed professionals and trained volunteers, and is sponsored by UR Medicine Hospice, Pittsford Youth Services, and Dreams from Drake.
When (**Paused for Summer 2020**)
July 8th-10th, 2020
12:00 – 5:30 p.m. daily
Families are invited to a complimentary dinner at the end of the last day at 5:30 pm
Campers are required to attend all days and times.
(4245 East Ave., Rochester, NY 14618)
How camp can benefit your child
Grief is difficult for everyone. It can be especially confusing for children who do not have the life experiences and resources adults draw on during difficult times. Camp helps fill that gap by:
- Developing campers’ coping skills for expressing and processing their grief.
- Offering campers an opportunity to be with peers who also experienced loss; this helps them realize they are not alone.
- Providing therapeutic and social activities such as pet therapy, games, art therapy, a balloon release, music therapy, and a family style dinner at the conclusion of camp.
- Teaching campers that it is ok to have fun and still honor their loved ones.
- Assisting campers to talk openly about their loved ones with camp staff and peers.
There is no cost to campers or their families. We are happy to provide this program free of charge.
For 2020, you can download and fill out the PDF application here. Please see the contact info below on where to send your child's application.
For questions, please contact Michele Allman, LMSW, Bereavement Coordinator at UR Medicine Hospice, at (585) 274-4069 or at URMHC-CampHeartstrings@URMC.Rochester.edu.
We are grateful to the businesses and families who make Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams possible. Businesses or families who wish to donate to the camp can call (585) 274-4253 or donate online and designate Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams as the recipient.
Make a Gift
If you would like to volunteer for Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams, please fill out the application and either email it to URMHC-CampHeartstrings@URMC.Rochester.edu or mail it to:
UR Medicine Home Care
Attn: Camp Heartstrings
2180 Empire Boulevard
Webster, NY 14580