Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship
Welcome from the Program Director
Jill M. Cholette, MD,
The Division of Pediatric Cardiology is a nationally recognized, accredited training program for physicians who care for fetuses, infants, children, and adolescents with heart disease. During the three-year ACGME accredited fellowship program, the fellow will develop skills in patient care, teaching, research, and management while working at Golisano Children's Hospital. Members of the Division of Pediatric Cardiology provide a network of support, fostering an environment that encourages the development of excellence in all areas of pediatric cardiology and the exploration of areas of research chosen by the fellow.
The Children's Heart Center in the Division of Pediatric Cardiology has been designated a "Center of Excellence" at the University of Rochester Medical Center. We have earned the reputation as the finest program in the region for the treatment of children with heart disease. We are a regional program that collaborates with pediatric cardiologists in Buffalo and Syracuse to provide care for pediatric cardiology patients throughout upstate New York. Our surgical mortality and morbidity is equal to the very best in New York State and is on a par with the very best programs nationally.
- To provide a stimulating and supportive environment which maximizes each fellow's experience in patient care, teaching, and research, which will prepare board-eligible pediatricians for a career in pediatric cardiology.
- To provide a broad exposure to cardiovascular disorders over a wide age range, to understand their associated problems, and to be knowledgeable of the resources available for intervention in these areas.
- To provide a rich environment for learning in the areas of invasive and noninvasive tools of management of these patients.
- To provide an opportunity to learn appropriate research methodologies in pediatric cardiovascular medicine and basic science.
- To provide the fellow with the tools to improve his/her teaching abilities by giving him/her the opportunity to teach medical students and house officers and by providing excellent role models in our teaching faculty.
Fellows who have successfully completed a three-year ACGME-accredited specialty program in either Pediatric Critical Care or Pediatric Cardiology are eligible to apply for our Cardiac Intensive Care Fellowship.