Research & Scholarly Activity
Our current research initiatives include:
- Gastrointestinal and nutritional conditions associated with chronic diseases of childhood
- Total parenteral nutrition-induced cholestasis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Chronic abdominal pain of childhood
- Malabsorption, celiac disease, and digestive enzyme deficiency conditions in infants and children
- Capsule endoscopy in children
Clinical trials that test new therapies are being performed in many areas, especially in inflammatory bowel disease. The clinical research center is often used to provide easy access for patients and their families to participate in the studies.
Lawrence J. Saubermann, M.D., Chief
- Safety and efficacy of vedolizumab in patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. This clinical trial continues from earlier randomized studies comparing vedolizumab vs. placebo to study long-term vedolizumab treatment in patients with ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease. Millennium Pharmaceuticals
- Evaluating the safety and efficacy of ustekinumab maintenance therapy in subjects with moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease. This clinical trial continues from the induction study comparing ustekinumab vs. placebo to study maintenance of the drug over 3 years. Janssen Research & Development
- Evaluating efficacy and safety of SAR339658 in patients with active moderate to severe ulcerative colitis (UC). This randomized trial compares placebo to an intravenous treatment for ulcerative colitis. Sanofi US Services Inc.
- Oral CP-690,550 as an induction therapy in subjects with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis. This randomized trial compares placebo to an investigational oral medication for ulcerative colitis. Pfizer
- CB-183,315 in patients with clostridium difficile associated diarrhea. This randomized trial compares vancomycin to an investigational antibiotic for C difficile. Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Rebecca Abell, D.O.
- Retrospective review of effect of positional modifications on gastric transit time after oral ingestion of WCE in pediatric patients. University of Rochester, Golisano Children's Hospital, August 2014 – present.
- The human anti-TNF monoclonal antibody adalimumab in pediatric subjects with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis. ABBVIE study, April 2015 - present.
Marilyn R. Brown, M.D.
- Parenteral nutrition and inflammatory bowel disease.
Megan Gabel, M.D.
- Developing innovating gastroenterology specialty training (DIGEST) program, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, May, 2016.
Nishaben Patel, M.D.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy as well as video capsule endoscopy.
Thomas M. Rossi, M.D.
- Malabsorption, celiac disease, digestive enzyme, and deficiency conditions.
View research projects of current and past fellows.