For Educators and Coaches
Roles of Personnel in School Settings
Affected students and athletes need your support and understanding.
- Create a positive, healthy school environment that facilitates learning and encourages each student to learn, grow and develop as an individual
- Maintain a Zero Tolerance Policy for:
- Judging individuals on physical appearance
- Negative remarks about weight, body shape, size, appearance etc.
- Recognize that school personnel are not supposed to be “food police,” “surrogate parents,” or “friends”
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa
- View eating disorders as developmental, not mental, illnesses with biological, psychological and social elements
- Learn how to communicate with students who have a suspected or known eating disorder
- Be aware of treatment approaches and ways to facilitate referral for effective treatment
- Help prevent eating disorders by maintaining a healthy educational environment
- Recognize the powerful influence of a coach on an athlete and a teacher on a student
- Sports should be fun