Behavior Treatment Services
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics (formerly known as the Kirch Developmental Services Center)
Call (585) 275-2986 for an Appointment
We provide assessment and short-term treatment for children and teens with developmental delay or disability and challenging behaviors.
Who Can We Help?
Children age 2 - 19 with developmental delays or disabilities (i.e., autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, intellectual disability) and behavior challenges such as
- Tantrums or meltdowns
- Refusal to follow directions
- Hurting self or others
- Breaking objects or destroying property
- Yelling and arguing
Assessments and treatments are provided by Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics (formerly known as the Kirch Developmental Services Center) on Elmwood Avenue.
Treatment usually takes 10 - 20 weekly office visits. At visits, we will teach your family new ways of doing things at home. We will ask you to monitor how your child is doing between visits. At the end of treatment, your family will have a plan to promote positive behavior.
The first visit is with only the child's parents or caregivers so that we can learn about your child and family. We will talk about your child's
- Medical and developmental history
- School and community services
- Challenging behaviors
You will be asked to keep track of challenging behaviors so we can understand why they occur.
After we meet with you, we will suggest a treatment plan. Depending on your child's needs, the plan may include different types of treatment such as
- Helping parents or caregivers use new skills, such as ways to increase desired behaviors and reduce problem behaviors
- Helping the child develop ways to communicate other than disruptive behavior
- Teaching the child coping skills to manage distress or improve flexibility using behavioral or cognitive behavioral approaches
- Skill-building (social, self-care, toileting, sleep)
Our Service Team
- Brenna Cavanaugh, Ph.D.
- Lynn Cole, P.N.P.
- Patricia Corbett-Dick, P.N.P.
- Angela Huss-Marvin, L.M.S.W.
- Suzannah Iadarola, Ph.D.
- Lisa Lang, M.B.A.
- David McAdam, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.
- Daniel Mruzek, Ph.D.
- Leona Oakes, Ph.D.
- Katherine Purcell
- Kenneth Shamlian, Psy.D.
- Laura Silverman, Ph.D.
- Laura Soskey