Pediatric otolaryngology offers comprehensive medical and surgical care for
newborns, children and adolescents with congenital disorders,
infectious disease and tumor processes related to the ear, nose,
throat and related structures of the head and neck.
Golisano Children's Hospital is staffed with a board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric otolaryngologist and a team of board-certified otolaryngologists, specializing in head and neck surgery. This team is supported by audiologists, speech and language therapists, allergists, and educators. Specialists in pulmonary medicine, critical care, hematology/oncology, and respiratory therapy are available, as needed.
Conditions We Treat
Our multispecialty approach to diagnosis and treatment offers expertise in a wide range of problems unique to or common in the younger patient:
- Airway management
- Allergy problems
- Apnea and snoring
- Chronic ear infections
- Cochlear implants for profound hearing loss
- Congenital anomalies such as cleft palate
- Facial plastic reconstructive surgery
- Foreign bodies in the lungs or esophagus
- Head and neck tumors
- Hearing loss
- Hypertrophied tonsils and adenoids, obstructive issues, injuries to the head and neck (facial trauma ranging from simple nasal fractures to complex midface and mandible injuries)
- Sleep disorders
- Speech problems
- Subglottic stenosis
- Vocal cord disorders
Services range from routine to emergency care, and include medical as well as surgical outpatient and inpatient services. We treat more than 20,000 children each year for problems ranging from chronic ear infections to tumors of the head and neck. We also offer cochlear implants as an option for children who aren't helped by hearing aids.
Inpatient and Ambulatory Surgery
Although less than 10% of the children we see at Golisano Children's Hospital require surgery, when it's necessary, a skilled team of pediatric otolaryngologists, anesthesiologists, plastic surgeons, and nurses team up to give them the best care possible. Close to 2,500 surgeries for head and neck disorders are performed on children at the hospital each year, making the otolaryngologist team exceptionally proficient in handling surgical cases. Pediatric surgeries now take place in the Mildred Levine Pediatric Surgical Suite, our facility designed with children's needs and comfort in mind.
A new, state-of-the-art outpatient facility is located at 125 Lattimore Road, not far from Golisano Children's Hospital. The office offers easy access, and ample, free parking.
Tests and Treatment Procedures
Our full spectrum of medical and surgical services and procedures include (but are not limited to):
- Assessment of the airway for evaluation and determination of sites of obstruction, phases of stridor, and issues of aerodigestive dysfunction
- Flexible bronchoscopy
- Rigid bronchoscopy and foreign body removal
- Cochlear implantation for profound sensorineural hearing loss
- Congenital atretic ear reconstruction
- Evaluation and treatment of congenital anomalies such as:
- Choanal atresia
- Simple polyps or those complicating cystic fibrosis
- Thyroglossal duct cysts
- Brachial left cysts
- Dermoid cysts
- Evaluation of tumor processes, both benign and malignant (performed in conjunction with a hematologist/oncologist)
- Management of otitis media and serous otitis with antibiotic therapy and tube placement
- Mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty for chronic ear disease
- Open reductions and platings to repair facial injuries
- Restoration of congenital anomalies of the auricles and absent auditory canal
- Tracheal reconstruction
- Vascular malformations and hemangiomas
Our Commitment to Education
In addition to an ongoing commitment to educate the next generation of otolaryngology specialists, Golisano Children's Hospital also hosts continuing education opportunities for the region's pediatricians and primary care physicians.