Pediatric Tracheostomy & Home Ventilator Program
Caring for a Child with a Tracheostomy
Taking care of a child with a tracheostomy requires a dedicated team of medical experts willing to partner with a family to provide the best care possible for each child.
Our medical providers, from multiple specialties, come together to form an integrated team of professionals who are interested in all aspects of your child's tracheostomy care.
- Our #1 priority is safety.
- We care for over 100 children in Western and Central New York with Tracheostomies.
- We provide multiple specialist visits during one trip to the hospital (ENT, pulmonary, respiratory therapy, nursing).
- If your child needs surgery, we will coordinate it to minimize the number of procedures they need.
- We establish continuity of care from inpatient to outpatient. If your child needs to be admitted we will see them throughout the hospital stay and then as an outpatient. We want to make sure that you feel confident providing safe care for your child's tracheostomy at home.
- Coordination of Care
We communicate with your child's specialists and care team to relay recommended interventions and treatment plans.
- Complex Care Appointments
Your appointments are team-based with ENT, pulmonary and respiratory therapy.
We perform airway surveillance via direct laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy, revision of the tracheostomy site, dilation of the airway, and airway reconstruction.
- Planning for Decannulation
If your child is ready to have their tracheostomy tube removed we follow a rigorous, evidence-based protocol to ensure this is done safely.
We work closely with team members for feeding therapy, swallow evaluations and sleep studies.
Creating Tracheostomy Awareness with Giana
Little Wyatt Has Been a Miracle Since Before He Was Born
by Kris Betts, 13WHAM News, October 25, 2021
Read about Wyatt and watch the video at: Little Wyatt Has Been a Miracle Since Before He Was Born