Make Appointments & Get Care
What is Dry Eye?
The surface of your eye needs protection and nourishment, which is provided by your tears. When this natural shield breaks down or lacks certain characteristics, the front of the eye can become damaged. This can lead to discomfort and decreased vision.
Common symptoms of dry eye include:
- Blurred vision
- Burning, itching or redness in the eye
- Gritty or scratchy eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Watery eyes
Dry eye can have many causes, including:
- Dry home or workplace environments
- Prolonged screen usage (computers, television, etc.)
- Corneal injuries
- Previous eye surgery such as LASIK or cataract surgery
- Contact lens wear
- Eyelids that do not completely close
- Constant exposure to extreme airflow or extreme temperatures
- Sjögren’s or other autoimmune diseases
- Medications used to treat glaucoma and other eye diseases
- Improperly functioning tear system
UR Medicine's Treatments for Dry Eye
Since no two patients are the same, UR Medicine’s Flaum Eye Institute offers a variety of therapies tailored to your specific needs. Based on your customized profile, we may recommend a combination of options to help you feel more comfortable and see better. These include:
- Behavioral and environmental modifications
- Specific recommendations for artificial tear formulas
- Medicines to enhance natural tear production
- Vitamin and diet strategies to improve natural tear quality
- Specialized strategies and devices to reduce evaporation of your natural tears
- Involvement of other medical specialists
What Sets Us Apart?
UR Medicine’s Flaum Eye Institute is home to some of the most sophisticated techniques and instruments used to detect the cause of dry eye.
We use unique and advanced equipment to help us measure the quantity and quality of natural tears and assess the surface of your eye. We also partner with doctors in other medical specialties at the University of Rochester Medical Center to create the most accurate profile of your disease and manage other coexisting conditions.
Our doctors are backed by some of the leading research scientists in this field. Additionally, Flaum Eye Institute is recognized internationally as a center for dry eye research.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations