Make Appointments & Get Care
What is Facial Paralysis?
Facial paralysis is when a person can no longer move some or all of the muscles on one or both sides of the face.
Causes of Facial Paralysis
Facial paralysis occurs when there is:
- Damage or swelling of the facial nerve, which carries signals from the brain to the muscles of the face
- Damage to the area of the brain that sends signals to the muscles of the face
This damage can be caused by:
UR Medicine's Treatments for Facial Paralysis
Your provider will perform an exam to see the movement of your face, and they may do an imaging scan.
Treatment will be determined based on the cause of your facial paralysis. Your options include:
- Corticosteroids to reduce inflammation
- Antivirals to fight a possible infection
- Botox injections to treat involuntary muscle movements
- Physical therapy to improve facial symmetry
- Speech therapy to help you regain your speech and swallow function
Surgical treatments may include:
- Reanimation surgery to restore your ability to smile
- Surgery to remove a tumor
- Cosmetic surgery, such as:
- Brow lifts
- Facial slings
- Eyelid surgery
What Sets Us Apart?
UR Medicine Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, part of UR Medicine Otolaryngology, offers comprehensive facial and neck care that includes both reconstructive and aesthetic services. Reconstructive procedures include rhinoplasty and other techniques for nasal breathing and nasal deformity, facial reanimation for patients with facial paralysis, reconstructive surgery following skin cancer removal, scar revision, as well as microvascular free-tissue transfer and repair of maxillofacial trauma.
Our talented physicians and caring support staff treat every patient with the highest respect, care, and attentiveness. Our surgeons are highly experienced and are trained to perform the most complex reconstructive surgical procedures while working collaboratively with other physicians to treat each individual patient. In addition, our physicians are also highly regarded educators and researchers and provide topnotch education and mentoring to the next generation of plastic surgeons.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations