Living Donor Liver Transplant
Make Appointments & Get Care
Live donor liver transplants are a lifesaving option for people in need of a healthy organ.
Thousands of people are waiting for a liver transplant in the U.S. due to a shortage of organs from deceased donors. It can take over a year for one to become available. Conditions can worsen in that time, with some people becoming too sick to have surgery. Living donor organs can help transplant patients get on the road to recovery, sooner.
What is a Living Donor Liver Transplant?
During a living donor liver transplant, a portion of the liver from a healthy living person is transplanted into the patient whose liver is not working as it should. Livers have the amazing ability to regenerate to their original size after donation. To have the surgery, the patient typically needs to have a family member, friend, or acquaintance who is willing and able to donate their organ.
UR Medicine's Approach
We know that donating a portion of your liver is a huge commitment. We’re with you every step of the way. Our definition of success extends far beyond the operating room. We commit the time and resources to making your life after the donation itself as successful as possible.
It takes a team to perform a live donor transplant, and we’ve gathered a team of experts from all over the world.
Our liver transplant team includes:
- Transplant surgeons perform your procedure.
- Transplant hepatologists evaluate whether it is safe for you to donate and take care of your liver after surgery.
- Independent living donor advocate, whose sole responsibility is to advocate for your best interests during the donation process.
- Social workers, psychiatrists, and psychologists for your mental and emotional health and to help you access available resources.
- Live donor coordinator will guide you through the donation evaluation and recovery.
- Pharmacists dispense medication, answer questions, and consult with doctors about which medications are best for you.
- Dietitians help ensure you are getting proper nutrition and educate you on the type of diet you may need to follow before and after your transplant.
- Patients themselves are important members of their care team. You will be kept up-to-date about your treatment and be involved in the decision-making.
What Sets Us Apart?
We are the only living donor liver transplant program in upstate New York.
The University of Rochester founded the biopsychosocial model, which treats the whole patient rather than just disease. We consider all your life circumstances, personalizing your treatment based on what’s best for you. This includes providing a transplant psychiatrist and social worker who look after your mental and emotional well-being.
You can see the excellent outcomes of our transplantation program by visiting the following websites:
We aim to make this as simple and stress-free as possible for patients and their families. For patients traveling from out of town, we have partnerships with local organizations that provide affordable places to stay, such as the Hope Lodge and Harbor House.
We also partner with national organizations such as the National Living Donor Assistance Center to help eligible donors apply for financial assistance to offset the costs of donation.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations