What is Robotic Laparoscopic Prostatectomy?
Prostatectomy is surgery to remove the prostate and seminal vesicles to control prostate cancer. Laparoscopic prostatectomy uses the techniques and tools of minimally invasive surgery.
UR Medicine's Approach
Robotic laparoscopic prostatectomy has been shown to be as effective in removing cancer as traditional surgery.
The operation can take three to five hours, which is longer than traditional surgery. But it can offer many benefits, such as fewer complications, less blood loss, less pain after surgery, shorter hospital stays, and a shorter recovery time (usually a few days compared to four to six weeks after traditional surgery).
You will be scheduled to have Pre-Admission Testing (PRAT) at Strong Memorial Hospital. Shortly after we have scheduled your surgery, you will receive a call from us to arrange a date for this testing.
Your PRAT visit will take from 2-3 hours. A nurse practitioner will complete a history and physical for you. At this time, you will have any testing that was requested by our providers, which may include blood work, chest X-ray, EKG or other tests.
You may also meet with staff from anesthesiology if this has been requested by your doctor or if the nurse practitioner feels it is necessary.
Your post-operative information depends on your particular surgery or diagnosis. Your doctor and nurses will review this with you in person.
Prostectomy with Robotic Surgery for Prostate Cancer
What Sets Us Apart?
UR Medicine Urology provides the area's most advanced urologic care:
- Many of our doctors are fellowship trained, the highest level of education available.
- We use the most advanced technology to perform procedures, such as minimally invasive robotic prostate surgery. We’re a national pioneer in minimally invasive surgery, which speeds recovery, reduces post-surgery pain, and decreases the risks of complications.
- We’re one of only a few academic medical centers offering high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU), using sound waves that can target deep inside the body.
- We use the latest da Vinci Surgical System, with high-definition 3D imaging to enhance the surgeon's vision during procedures.
- We participate in the most current research in urology, so we can make informed decisions based on the latest knowledge in the field.
- More patients turn to us for second opinions on urologic disease and conditions than any other resource in the region.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations