Advanced Education General Dentistry (AEGD)
- Open to US/Canadian and foreign trained dentists
- One and two-year AEGD certificate program, approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Foreign-trained applicants: two-year AEGD program
- US/Canadian applicants: choose between one or two-year AEGD program
- Those enrolled in the two-year AEGD program may integrate this program with research training.
AEGD Clinical Activities
- Residents receive clinical training in removable and fixed prosthodontics, periodontics, operative dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, endodontics, pediatric dentistry, dental implantology, orthodontics and research.
- Residents carry out treatment plans and case management with the guidance of faculty including specialists in orthodontics, oral surgery, periodontology, prosthodontics, endodontics, oral pathology, and general dentistry.
- Residents enrolled in the two-year dental residency program are required to complete and present a research project. Residents will develop the critical scientific thought process, an important component of patient case management.
- Areas available for resident research include most basic-science subjects and clinical investigation of dental materials, prosthodontics, oral surgery, operative dentistry, radiology, cariology, periodontology and orthodontics. Facilities for clinical and basic-science research are available to all residents.
Other Educational Opportunities
- The research program at the University of Rochester includes a master of science (major in dental science) and master of public health degree program. The Ph.D. program is in one of the basic biomedical sciences. Fellowships supported by the National Institute of Dental Research are available to those who plan a career in research and teaching.
- Programs leading to either an M.S. or Ph.D. degree are usually integrated with one of the clinical training programs, although they may also be taken separately. The master of science, with a major in dental science, requires 30 credit hours of course work and research, and the submission of a suitable thesis reporting on the results of an original investigation. Program requirements include one or more basic science graduate courses in subjects relevant to the proposed research, courses in appropriate areas of dental science, and participation in dental research seminars.
- The doctor of philosophy degree program can be pursued independently at the University or in a combined program with advanced training in a clinical dental specialty. The latter program is designed to train clinician scientists for an academic and research career. The Ph.D. can be received in the university departments of anatomy, biochemistry, biology, microbiology and immunology, genetics, pharmacology, physiology, or radiation biology.
- A National Research Service Award from the National Institute of Dental Research provides stipends to U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are in the combined specialty/Ph.D. degree program.
Please see the Prospective Applicant letter for information about tuition and other fees for this AEGD dental residency program.
Our AEGD Faculty
- M.K. (Bobby) Baig, B.D.S.
- Abdulaziz Basha Hijazi, D.D.S.
- Fred Blum, D.M.D.
- Mark Cohen, D.D.S.
- Anthony Colaruotolo, D.D.S.
- Thomas DeRosa, D.D.S.
- Anita Drake, D.D.S.
- Fethiye Sevde Ersan, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- Alexis Ghanem, D.D.S., M.S.
- Karyn Giese, D.D.S.
- Michael D. Grassi, D.D.S.
- Adina Jucan, D.D.S.
- Julian Kahn, D.D.S.
- Ira Kamp, D.D.S.
- John Lepore, D.D.S.
- Xiuxin Liu, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D.
- Hans Malmstrom, D.D.S.
- Michael Mayer, D.M.D.
- David K. Mazgaj, D.M.D.
- William Nesbitt, D.M.D.
- Suzanne Nicholas, D.M.D., M.P.H.
- Jay D. Parnes, D.D.S.
- Linda Rasubala, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- Yan-Fang Ren, D.D.S., M.P.H.,Ph.D.
- Georgios Romanos, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- David Schrier, D.D.S.
- Leslie A. Schiff, D.D.S.
- Tejinder Singh, D.D.S., M.S.
- Lonnie Slapar, D.D.S.
- Jin Xiao, D.D.S., M.S., Ph. D
- Michael Yunker, D.D.S.
General Dentistry/AEGD Yearbooks
Lisa A. Crosier
Eastman Institute for Oral Health
625 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620