About the Program
URMC is one of the busiest centers of its size in the country. In the past five years, the cardiac surgical program has grown by 10% yearly to nearly 1000 cardiac surgical procedures performed in 2018, not inclusive of interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, thoracic, and congenital cardiac procedures. Our program specializes in minimally invasive surgical aortic and mitral valve procedures (>200 yearly), structural heart procedures, and surgical heart failure therapy. There has been significant growth in the transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVR) volumes (>150 yearly) and similar growth in other structural heart procedures such as Watchman and Mitraclip.
There has been tremendous grown in the heart failure therapy program at University of Rochester, with a 50% increase in LVAD referrals and a doubling of LVAD case volumes from prior years. Currently, our center performs the second-highest volumes of Heartmate III LVAD implantations in the country (88 per hear) and was the pioneering center in the U.S. for a sternal sparing approach to the procedure which was recently FDA approved. We perform 10-15 heart transplants per year. Our ECMO program is growing significantly (> 130 patients yearly) and will expand to include a transport "Acute Shock" program, which will provide a unique elective rotation opportunity for our fellows. Furthermore, the hospital has committed to development of a new tower that will include a planned major expansion to the cardiac ICUs and ORs to support further growth.
Approximately 20% of coronary procedures are performed without cardiopulmonary bypass, providing unique challenges in anesthetic management. URMC is the only center performing congenital heart surgery in western upstate New York.
- > 1000 pump cardiopulmonary bypass cases
- Adult Cardiac Procedures – 1007
- >250 CABG procedures
- >200 Surgical valve procedures
- >170 TAVR procedures
- > 70 LVAD procedures
- > 15 Heart transplant procedures
- Congenital Cardiac Procedures - >200 cases yearly, at least 150 of which were on CPB.
- Thoracic Procedures – 1000 cases per year
- Our thoracic team performs a wide range of procedures including, but not limited to, the following: diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy and endoscopy, diaphragmatic hernia repair, mediastinal mass resection, lung resection (wedge, sleeve, lobectomy, pneumonectomy), and esophagectomy.
- Vascular Procedures
- Our vascular team performs a wide range of open and percutaneous vascular procedures including open thoracic and abdominal repair, TeVAR, eVAR, and TeCar procedures.
- Electrophysiology Procedures – > 1400 cases yearly with anesthesiology
- Our Electrophysiology team performs a full suite of services including high-risk lead extractions, subcutaneous and transvenous ICD placements, transvenous and leadless pacemaker placements, and complex cardiac ablation procedures