How to Apply
The standard three-year training program in Cardiology participates in the National Residency Matching Program to determine resident selection.
- Applicants are required to submit a completed application form, and to provide a narrative personal statement and three letters in support of their candidacy. This is done only through ERAs as of the 2006 recruitment season.
- As a prerequisite, applicants must have successfully completed Internal Medicine Residency training in an ACGME-accredited program.
- Complete applications are reviewed by a faculty committee consisting of the program director, division chief, and at least two program faculty. This committee identifies applicants for interview in Rochester. Interviews are conducted by all the Cardiology faculty, in rotation, who are asked to evaluate each interviewee. At interview, applicants receive information about the program and participating faculty, as well as information relative to living in the Rochester area.
- The Fellowship Selection Committee reviews the individual interview evaluations and develops the Ranking List, which is submitted to the National Residency Matching Program.
- Advanced training in Interventional Cardiology and Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology fellows are selected following interview and faculty review of files. There is currently not an NRMP for these advanced fellowships. They are appointed, however, through the same process as the CVD trainees.
For the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program, applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Applications for each of the Cardiology Fellowship Training Programs are reviewed after the applications are complete.
Candidates for the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Training Program are contacted in July, following our application deadline, to schedule interviews between the beginning of August and the end of September. Approximately 9-10 interview days are scheduled each recruitment season, with five candidates scheduled per day. The interview day begins with a cardiology conference, followed by a group meeting with our program director, and individual interviews with the program director as well as two faculty members. A group lunch is held for the candidates with our fellows in an informal setting. Applicants are generally done with their interview day by 3 p.m.
Travel and Lodging
There are several nearby hotels for applicants to choose from:
All of these choices provide a shuttle to and from the hospital from the airport, and many amenities.
If you are driving to visit us, view directions and a University of Rochester map.