Your year-long curricular experiences will consist of 12-month long rotations with 2 weeks at the beginning and the end for start up and conclusion. The rotations include participation in operative and minor surgical procedures. Specialty rotations include Spine/Physiatry, Ortho sports/hip, Ortho sports/shoulder, wrist and hand, foot and ankle, adult reconstruction and arthritis care, and pediatric orthopaedics. There are also rotations in Rheumatology and Sports Concussion Clinic, musculoskeletal radiology, physical therapy/athletic training and rehabilitation.
The program aims to develop primary care physicians for academic practice. There will be many clinical and didactic teaching opportunities in medical students and resident education. Further academic development seminars are available. Exposure to compartment pressure testing and musculoskeletal ultrasound will also be provided. Nutrition, exercise physiology and sports psychology experiences are available. Weekly didactic sessions with the faculty will reinforce and inform your learning. Finally, an innovative “Sports Medicine in the News” curriculum will be discussed periodically.
The Department of Family Medicine and Department of Orthopaedics have an expanding and robust clinical practice. The Department of Family Medicine was one of the original academic family medicine departments in the country and continues to lead primary care in the 21st century with continued strengths in the bio-psychosocial model, women’s health, and international health. The Department of Orthopaedics is among the top NIH-funded orthopaedic departments in the country each year. With nationally ranked medical specialties, the medical center serves the region as the sole academic and top level trauma and referral center.
- Monday through Weds – Specialty Rotation
- Wednesday PM – Pediatric Sports Medicine continuity clinic
- Thursday – General Sports Medicine Clinic Continuity Clinic with Dr Mirabelli
- Friday AM – Highland Family Medicine MSK / Sports Medicine internal consult clinic with rotating family medicine intern
- Friday PM – Highland Family Medicine Primary Care clinic
Introduction to our Sports Medicine Program
||MSK Radiology and Sports Physical Therapy
||Primary Care Sports Medicine and Concussion Clinic
||Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine
||Pediatric Orthopaedics and Pediatric Sports Medicine
||Osteoarthritis and Joint Reconstruction
||Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine and Sports Hip Surgery
||Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery and Sports Podiatry
||Sports Medicine Elective Rotation: Student Health, Nutrition and Urgent Care
Orthopaedic Hand Surgery and Hand Therapy
The goal of our Fellowship Program is to collaborate with nationally and internationally renowned faculty mentors in developing educators, researchers, and future academic leaders in Family Medicine. Our fellows learn more about the biopsychosocial model and family-oriented, patient-centered health care. Course work includes evidence-based medicine, research methods, teaching and learning, family systems medicine, motivational approaches to behavior change, and reflective practice. Our fellows also participate in scholarly or research projects, give presentations at national meetings, and publish papers.
Sports and Event Coverage
- Penfield High School Team Physician
- NCAA Division 3 St John Fisher College, Associate Team Physician
- Select coverage at NCAA Division 3: SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Brockport, Nazareth College, University of Rochester
- NLL Rochester Knighthawks Assistant Team physician
- Select coverage AAA Rochester Redwings, AHL Rochester Americans
- Genesee Valley Hunt Horse Races
- Ironman Lake Placid
- Ironman Musselman 70.3
- Cayuga Lake Triathlon
- Ski Clinic at Bristol Mountain
- Opportunities for coverage of amateur and professional boxing and MMA are available as well