Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship
Welcome to Our Program
The Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) Fellowship Program is fully ACGME accredited fellowship at the University of Rochester, with tracks for graduates of either Pediatrics (3-year program) or Emergency Medicine (2-year program) residencies. The program is primarily administered by the University’s Department of Emergency Medicine, with close ties to the Department of Pediatrics.
- The Pediatric Emergency Department of Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong is located adjacent to the Adult Emergency Department at Strong Memorial Hospital.
- The Pediatric ED has approximately 28,000 visits per year,
- The Pediatric ED serves as the tertiary care referral center for 14 counties surrounding the Rochester area, totaling over 1 million people.
- The Emergency Department is the Regional Level 1 Trauma center for the Finger Lakes Region.
- Dedicated pediatric ED nurses are specialists in the care of ill and injured children.
- The new free-standing Golisano Children’s Hospital opened in 2015, with 52 private inpatient rooms. The 22 bed critical care unit is due to move in 2017.
- Our interdisciplinary team includes members of all pediatric subspecialties.
The Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine consists of six boarded Pediatric Emergency Medicine physicians and five fellows. Division research centers on the health services issues, including the interface between primary care and emergency medicine, care of children in poverty, injury prevention, prehospital care, improving the quality of emergency care, decision analysis, head injuries, asthma and toxicology.
The pediatric emergency medicine fellowship has been in existence at the University of Rochester since 1992. In addition to providing excellent clinical training, and superb research trailing, the PEM Fellowship offers the opportunity to pursue a Master’s in Public Health, a Master’s in Science: Clinical Investigation, a Master’s of Medical Education, or a Master’s of Medical Management. PEM Fellows are an integral part of our faculty, and they are provided with the tools and support necessary to be successful pediatric emergency medicine physicians.
Anne F. Brayer, MD - Program Director
Professor of Pediatrics & Emergency Medicine
Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Ave, Box 655
Rochester, NY 14642
Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship Coordinator
Phone: (585) 273-4244
Fax: (585) 473-3516