About the Program
The following points contribute to the UR Child Neurology program’s reputation for excellence:
- URMC serves as a primary referral center for pediatric patients, including not only the greater Rochester area, but southern, eastern, and northern regions of New York State and northern Pennsylvania.
- The large breadth and depth of faculty, including internationally recognized teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- Diverse faculty specialties include Epilepsy, Movement disorders, ADHD, Neurogenetics and metabolic diseases, Neuro-toxicology, Neurodevelopmental disorders, Neuroimmunology and Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis, Neurocutaneous disorders, Headache, Neuromuscular disease, Leukodystrophies, Pediatric Stroke and Neurocritical Care.
- Thoughtful and strategic scheduling allows for a significant amount of child neurology exposure in the PGY-2 and PGY-3 years.
- Opportunity to add child neurology experiences to PGY-2 year, including a child neurology continuity clinic instead of general pediatrics.
- A commitment to teaching about diversity, inclusion, antiracism, and health disparities in neurologic patients with opportunities to get actively involved in the department’s diversity agenda.
- Consistently ranking as a top neurology department in the United States for extramural research funding from the National Institute of Health.
- A robust resident wellness committee dedicated to advocating for activities and policies that support resident wellbeing.
- A significant amount of training time dedicated to outpatient neurology (>50% in the neurology years). This includes significant subspecialty clinic exposure and plenty of elective time.
- A highly flexible residency format that allows residents to choose different paths based on their future career goals (e.g. research path, medical education path, global health path, practice path).
- A close-knit, friendly "family" atmosphere among faculty and residents.
- No in-house call for the final two (child neurology focused) residency years.
- The affordable and high quality lifestyle provided by the City of Rochester and surrounding suburbs.
- A focus on training residents how to be great teachers.
- The Department serves as the coordination center for many large multicenter therapeutic trials in neurology.