How to Apply & Interview Information
Please Note: In line with national recommendations and for the safety of all, our interviews this year will all be conducted virtually.
Prospective residents are invited to interview based on a combination of information provided in their ERAS application with include the following items:
- medical school transcript, personal statement, MSPE letter, 3 letters of recommendation, scholastic accomplishments and USMLE/COMLEX scores.
- Applicants must pass Step 1 of the USMLE exam at the time of applying and pass
- Step 2 USMLE exam by our ranking meeting in early February. It is the policy of this program to select the most qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, creed, color, national origin, handicap, age, or sexual orientation. All applicants must participate in the NRMP.
International Medical Students may apply for admission to our residency program if you meet all of these requirements. We sponsor only J-1 visas at this time, applicants must pass Step 1 of the USMLE exam at the time of applying and pass Step 2 by our ranking meeting in early February, be certified by the ECGMG, and have graduated from a medical school within the last 5 years.
Applications to the University of Rochester Obstetrics and Gynecology by allopathic and osteopathic medical candidates will be accepted ONLY through the Association of American Medical Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
We ask that you provide three letters of recommendation. These letters should come from the OB-GYN chair and/or clerkship director, and OB-GYN full time faculty member, and a faculty member of your choice. Candidates selected for interviews will have an opportunity to interact with full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and residents.
Upon selection for an interview, an email is sent to you with an invitation to interview from Thalamus our scheduling software. Our interviews are held on Mondays and Fridays.
In order to appreciate the full spectrum of the University of Rochester, we ask that you arrive one day early to attend the resident-hosted University of Rochester Welcome Dinner. This event allows you the most access to residents.
We will be using email to communicate with applicants. This will include all invitations for interviews. We ask that you check your email frequently. All questions should be directed to email@example.com or by calling (585) 275-3733.
Note: Application's will not be reviewed past October 1, 2021 of the current application year.
I was really impressed with the faculty and residents I met on interview day. They were warm and welcoming, and I felt that I could really explore my interests using the resources available here.
Please review the following deadlines for application submission. Please note that we follow the NRMP rules and regulations. We will only accept applications through ERAS.
We follow the APGO CREOG Right Resident, Right Program, Ready Day One guidelines. We will limit the number of interview offers to the number of interview spots available, and allow a minimum of 48 hours for applicants to accept interview offers.
- October 1: Deadline for new ERAS submitted applications
- October 19th: Interview offer release dates
- October 25th: Interviews to begin
- In addition, we limit the number of interview offers to the number of interview spots available for each day and allow applicants a minimum of 48 hours to respond to an interview offer.
- Interviews for the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program are held on Monday and Fridays beginning in November and continuing through mid-January. Emails, confirmation letters, and details regarding the selection and direction for interviewees will be done electronically.
Please Note: If you decide to cancel your interview after initially accepting, we respectfully request that all cancelations be done in writing at a minimum of 1 week prior to your interview date. This allows your fellow applicants the opportunity to interview with us. If there are travel delays due to weather, we will do our best to accommodate a reschedule.
We will interview candidates on:
- Monday, November 1st
- Monday, November 8th
- Friday- November 12th
- Friday- November 19th
- Friday-December 3rd
- Monday-December 6th
- Monday-December 13th
The Interview Day
Please note, due to the COVID Pandemic, we will only be offering virtual interviews for the 2021-2022 application cycle.
Our residents will be hosting a Virtual Get Together the night before your interview. While these sessions are not mandatory, we strongly recommend attending these as this will allow you the chance to meet our residents and to get a feel for the culture of our residency program. You will be sent an invite along with your interview information. The dress code for this event is casual.
Please see below for a sample itinerary of your interview day. (Please note that this is only an approximation and final details are currently being finalized)
Day of interview:
- 10:00-10:05 a.m. - Welcome by Program Director and Chair
- 10:05-10:50 a.m. - Overview of Education Curriculum
- 11:00-1:00 p.m. - Interviews and Division Discussions (Breaks are included)
- 1:00-1:20 p.m. - Education Team
- 1:20-2:10 p.m. - Break out rooms (Meet with Faculty and Residents)
- 2:10 - Final Words
Applicant Eligibility Requirements