How to Apply
Interview Information Travel & Lodging
The Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program selects the best qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, creed, color, national origin, handicap, or age. The selection process focuses on information supplied in the application package and a personal interview. The deadline for applications is October 1.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology only accepts electronically submitted application packages through ERAS. Application material may be obtained through the Dean's office at your medical school.
Residency Application Requirements
A complete application package (all transmitted through ERAS) should include the following items:
- ERAS application form
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Applicants from U.S. or Canadian medical schools must pass Step I of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) to be ranked at our ranking meeting in early February. We may interview applicants who have not yet passed the exam, but we must have received documentation directly from USMLE by the time of our ranking meeting in order for the applicant to be ranked for the Match. Please contact the authorize release of your scores to Medhub.
- Three letters of recommendation (in addition to the MSPE). These letters should come from the OB-GYN chair and/or clerkship director, an OB-GYN full time faculty member, and a faculty member of your choice.
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Scholastic accomplishments
- Curriculum vitae
- Recent photograph (optional)
A personal interview is also required for consideration of candidacy. See Interview Information.
International Medical Graduates
Applicants from International Medical Schools may apply for admission to our residency program with these submission requirements:
International medical graduates should contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for application materials and eligibility requirements. ECFMG may be contacted at:
P.O. Box 13467
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3467 U.S.A.
Candidates for internship are selected through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for appointments beginning on June 2020.
Our residents host an informal dinner party the evening before each interview day to welcome applicants. Attendance at the dinner is not required but is encouraged if your travel plans permit. It is a very popular activity and provides you the opportunity to meet the residents in an informal and fun setting. When your interview is scheduled, you will be contacted with details about the dinner and interview day.
The interview day begins at the University of Rochester Medical Center at 8 a.m. Applicants have a light breakfast and introduction to the program by the program director and faculty from each division, followed by three interviews, lunch with residents, and a walk through the hospital. The day ends with an informal chat with the department chairman.
For details of all URMC residency programs, please go to the University of Rochester Graduate Medical Education website.
We will interview candidates on:
- October 28, 2019
- November 4, 2019
- November 15, 2019
- November 18, 2019
- December 7, 2019
- December 13, 2019
- December 16, 2019
Please note the following:
- There is an optional (but recommended) dinner with residents the night before the interview.
- Transportation to the dinner and interview will be provided.
The Radisson Hotel - Rochester Airport is offering ob/gyn applicants special lodging rates and will provide shuttle service for ob/gyn applicants to and from the Rochester International Airport, the resident get-together and to and from the University of Rochester Medical Center.
Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
175 Jefferson Road, Rochester, NY 14623
Hotel Listing Recommended by Applicants
The following is an abbreviated listing of hotels past applicants have recommended:
Parking & Directions
- Parking is available in the Medical Center Parking Garage attached to the medical center. You will be provided with a parking validation ticket for your interview day.
- The University of Rochester Medical Center is a short 15-minute drive from the International Greater Rochester Airport which offers service from most major carriers.
- Directions to the Medical Center