How to Apply
Candidates for residency are selected through the National Resident Matching Program.
We accept only electronically-submitted application packages through ERAS, at your medical school dean's office. Three letters of reference are required in addition to the Dean's letter. These letters should come from full-time faculty members in surgery; one must come from the Chairman of the Department. The deadline for applications is November 1. Only completed application packages are reviewed.
Candidates selected for interviews will have an opportunity to interact with full-time faculty and residents.
Fourth Year Sub-Internship
We welcome visiting fourth-year medical students who wish to gain further exposure to our training program. Please see our fourth year sub-internship page for guidelines to secure an away rotation at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
- Dean’s letter (submitted by Medical Schools on Nov 1)
- USMLE transcript
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- International Medical Students: We only sponsor J1 visas; ECFMG certificate and NY Medical Board status letter are required no later than December 1.
- We will NOT offer an interview unless you meet all these qualifications.
Each year, we alternate between matching one applicant and matching two applicants. We have one five-year position available for the 2024 Match.
Interviews are held between November and January, with invitations sent out starting in October. The interview dates for the 2024 Match are November 7, November 29, and December 21.
Applicants scheduled to interview are invited to attend an informal virtual meet & greet with current residents, which will occur the evening prior to their scheduled interview date.
- Application Deadline: November 1
- Residents will begin their training on or about June 15.
Apply through the
Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
You must also register with the
National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).