Instructions for Completing the Course Transfer Form
Policy on Transfer Credit
Of the School of Medicine and Dentistry’s minimum required 120 credits hours for the Doctor of Philosophy degree, no more than 30 credit hours may be accepted as transfer credit for work previously taken at the University of Rochester or at another university.
Of the School of Medicine and Dentistry's minimum required 30 credits for the master's degree, no more than 10 credit hours may be accepted as transfer credit for work previously taken at the University of Rochester or another university.
All transfer hours, whether taken at the University of Rochester or at another university, must be approved by cluster/program director and the course director. The Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs will make the final determination of transfer hours.
Work taken prior to matriculation in a graduate degree program is classified as possible transfer work. Up to the 30‐credit‐hour limit may be accepted toward degree requirements if the subjects taken form an integral part of the proposed program of study and if taken within five years of the date of matriculation with a grade of B or higher as interpreted in this University. Petition for transfer credit for course work taken prior to matriculation must be made at the time of matriculation.
Permission to take work at another institution for transfer credit after matriculation in a graduate program must be approved in advance by the cluster/program director, course director, and the Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Course must be at the graduate level.
- Course must be an integral part of the proposed program of study.
- Course must be completed within 5 years of the date of matriculation.
- A grade of B‐ or higher must be received.
- Complete a Petition for the Transfer of Courses Form.
- Attach to the Petition for the Transfer of Courses Form
- The course description from a catalog.
- The course syllabus.
- If already taken, an official transcript.
- Meet with the course director to discuss the petition and to obtain initials if request is approved.
- Submit the petition to the Offices for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs. Once received, the Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs will review and make a final decision on the petition.
- The student will receive written notification within one month of the review.
- Upon completion of the course (when taken after matriculation), the student must provide the Graduate Registrar with an official transcript showing the course and final grade. Once received, notation will be made to the student’s official record and transcript.