Skip to main content

How to Apply

We are in the process of seeking CAMPEP accreditation and have submitted our accreditation application.

Apply Now

Requirements for Admission

  • Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics
    Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a closely related field, such as natural science or engineering 
    AND must have the equivalent of at least 3 non-introductory physics courses that would be suitable for a minor in physics.

  • Courses can be substituted if the applicant can demonstrate equivalence with:
    • Letter from Course Instructor
    • Copy of Course Syllabus
  • Must submit an official transcript for verification
  • GPA > 3.0. GPA out of 4.0
  • Applicants shall submit a Personal Statement:
    • No longer than 2 pages
    • Describes their motivation for pursuing graduate study in medical physics
    • Includes Career and Academic Goals
    • Discusses past physics experience
  • Applicants shall provide 3 professional or academic reference letters

For International Applicants

International applicants are individuals who need a visa in order to study or live in the U.S. Individuals who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America, no matter where in the world they live or go to school, are not considered international applicants.

International students must meet the same requirements and deadlines as all other applicants. All application materials and recommendations must be written in English.

Are there any requirements specific to an International Applicant?

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide official scores that are within 2 years of the original test date.

The following test types are acceptable:

When official score reports cannot be sent to the SMD directly from the testing agency because they are greater than 1 year old, please scan and upload your official score report to your online application under "Other Documents".

Is waiver of the TOEFL/IELTS requirement possible?

Applicants who have earned or will earn an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from a US educational institution are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.

  • Exceptions to the TOEFL/IELTS requirement may be granted for applicants who have earned or will earn a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in a country where English is an official language and where all instruction is provided in English. An exception for the TOEFL/IELTS will be considered with a written request submitted to
  • A minimum of six full semesters of academic coursework in good standing is required to qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver regardless of whether your study is in the U.S. or a foreign country.
  • You may be eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS test waiver if you have completed a masters degree at a U.S. regionally accredited institution or are currently in pursuit of a U.S. masters program and have successfully completed a minimum of two full semesters of academic coursework in good standing.

Submit a written request to your program coordinator for consideration.

Do you require a credential evaluation?

Foreign applicants may voluntarily submit a credential evaluation in addition to, or in lieu of, an undergraduate transcript record for admission review purposes.  Foreign applicants whose U.S. bachelors degree equivalency cannot be verified through a review of their foreign credentials may also be requested by either the graduate admissions office or program faculty/staff to submit an independent credential evaluation to support their application.  

Credential evaluations must include the following: 

Visit our FAQ page for answers to many of your questions about admissions to the SMD, the application process, being an international applicant, and the professional and career development resources available to SMD students.

We are in the process of seeking CAMPEP accreditation and have submitted our accreditation application.

Apply Now