How To Apply
PhD program applicants may submit only one application per admissions year but may request to transfer an application to a different program at any point in the application process.
Application Requirements by Program
Applicants must have earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor's degrees are awarded before they matriculate. Evidence of the earned degree is required prior to matriculation in the form of an official transcript noting degree conferral.
Application Requirements for PhD Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
- Create an online application account
- SMD Graduate Admissions Application
- SOPHAS application (Public Health Sciences PhD programs only: Epidemiology, Health Services Research and Policy)
- Statement of Purpose
- Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Official GRE Scores - If Applicable to the program you are applying to. Review program webpage for GRE requirements (SMD school code: 2948, SOPHAS application code: 4247)
- Scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted. Offers of admission are contingent on receipt of final official test scores only if test scores are required.
- Official English language test score for applicants whose native language is not English. The following test types are acceptable:
TOEFL iBT (SMD school code: 2948, SOPHAS application code: 5688)
IELTS – Electronic score delivery (select University of Rochester School of Medicine &Dentistry)
DuoLingo (select University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry)
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Application Timeline
For Admission to Fall Semester
- By December 1st - The $60 application fee is automatically waived
- By December 15th - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies)
- After December 15th - applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1, at each program’s discretion. For a list of programs that will consider applications until January 1, please check here.
- December - January - Interviews scheduled
- February - Interviews held
- February - March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- September - Fall semester begins