How to Apply
Graduate Program Coordinator
Graduate study in the Graduate School at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry means engaging in research and training that informs and shapes the world around us. We invite you to explore our numerous graduate degree programs, our facilities and resources, our people, and our community. We welcome your application to our School should you choose to apply.
- Students are only accepted for Fall semester (no Spring admission)
- The Program is fully funded with tuition fellowship, competitive stipend and health insurance
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is optional
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a mandatory requirement of applicants whose primary language is not English, the Test of Spoken English (TSE) is highly recommended
- Decisions are made by an Admissions Committee after review of applications and personal or phone interview
- The $60 application fee will be automatically waived for Ph.D. applications submitted by December 1. Applications submitted after December 1-December 15 will be charged the application fee. After December 15 applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1, at our program’s discretion
- Applicants who have limited financial resources may request an application fee waiver by contacting Melissa Vera
Applicants must have earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor's degrees are awarded before they matriculate. Evidence of the earned degree is required prior to matriculation in the form of an official transcript noting degree conferral.
Application Requirements for PhD Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
- Create an online Admissions Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
GRE scores are optional and submission is at the discretion of the applicant. Applicants may submit their GRE scores if they believe it will add to their application. Not submitting a GRE will not be held against the applicant. Please review the following guidelines:
- If the applicant is NOT submitting scores please disregard the GRE submission question on the application.
- Applicants choosing to submit GRE scores, scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted with the original application (SMD School Code: 2948).
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide official scores that are within 2 years of the original test date. Official TOEFL (SMD school code: 2948, SOPHAS application code: 5688) or IELTS Scores
For applicants whose native language is not English.
The following test types are acceptable:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)iBT or ITP Plus
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Application Timeline
For Admission to Fall Semester
- By December 1st - The $60 application fee is automatically waived
- By December 15th - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies)
- After December 15th - applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1, at each program’s discretion. For a list of programs that will consider applications until January 1, please check here.
- December - January - Interviews scheduled
- February - Interviews held
- February - March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- September - Fall semester begins
Fellowship Package for Full-time Students
- Full tuition scholarship, including all fees. Tuition and Fee Schedule
- A competitive stipend for 2021-2022 of $30,761 per year for 12 month programs or $25,634 per year for 10 month programs.
- Single coverage AETNA student health insurance policy.
- Refund Schedule
The University Health Service (UHS) provides a full range of confidential, high quality primary health care services for full-time students and other members of the University community.
Full-time students participate in the Student Health Program, which covers primary care visits to UHS, time-limited therapy at the University Counseling Center (UCC), and health promotion services.
UHS offers health insurance for individual full-time University of Rochester students and their spouses/domestic partners through AETNA. Full-time students are required to participate in this plan unless they complete the Health Insurance Selection Process indicating they are waiving the insurance plan because they have other insurance. Insurance for spouses/partners and families is available for a fee payable by the student.
The Bursar’s Office
Financial Aid Office