PhD program applicants may submit only one application per admissions year but may request to transfer their application to a different SMD graduate program at any point in the application process. PhD applicants who do not receive an admissions offer before April 15 are not automatically considered for admission into a Master's program. If you applied to the PhD in Statistics program and would like to transfer your existing application to either the Master of Arts in Statistics program or Master of Science in Biostatistics program, please email email@example.com before May 1.
Applicants must have earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor's degrees are awarded before they matriculate. Evidence of the earned degree is required prior to matriculation in the form of an official transcript noting degree conferral.
Application Requirements for PhD Degree Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
1. Create an online Admissions Application
2. Statement of Purpose
3. Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
4. 3 Letters of Recommendation
5. Official GRE Scores are required by the program. Scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted with the original application. Offers of admission are contingent on receipt of final official test scores from ETS (SMD school code: 2948)
6. Official TOEFL (SMD school code: 2948) or IELTS or DuoLingo English test scores
For applicants whose native language is not English.
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Application Timeline
- By December 1st - The $60 application fee is automatically waived
- By December 15th - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies, standard deadline)
- After December 15th - Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1 for the Statistics PhD program
- December - February - Interviews scheduled
- February - Interviews held
- February-March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- August - Orientation