PhD program applicants may submit only one application per admissions year but may request to transfer their application to a different SMD graduate program at any point in the application process. PhD applicants who do not receive an admissions offer before April 15 are not automatically considered for admission into a Master's program. If you applied to the PhD in Statistics program and would like to transfer your existing application to either the Master of Arts in Statistics program or Master of Science in Biostatistics program, please email Karin Gasaway before May 1.
Applicants must have earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a college, university, or technical school of acceptable standing. Students in their final year of undergraduate study may be admitted on the condition that their bachelor's degrees are awarded before they matriculate. Evidence of the earned degree is required prior to matriculation in the form of an official transcript noting degree conferral.
Application Requirements for PhD Degree Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
1. Create an online Admissions Application
2. Statement of Purpose
3. Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
4. 3 Letters of Recommendation
5. Official GRE Scores are required by the program. Scans of official score reports for GREs taken within 5 years of the original test date will be accepted with the original application. Offers of admission are contingent on receipt of final official test scores from ETS (SMD school code: 2948)
6. Official English language test score for international applicants whose native language is not English. The following test types are acceptable:
TOEFL (SMD school code: 2948)
IELTS (Electronic score delivery; select University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry)
DuoLingo (select University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry)
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Frequently Asked Questions
The pages below will answer many of the questions you might have before applying. If you have a question that is not answered on either of these pages, please contact the Statistics Graduate Program Administrator Karin Gasaway. We look forward to receiving your application!
PhD Application Timeline
- By December 1st - The $60 application fee is automatically waived (please allow 30 minutes for the waiver to process)
- By December 15th - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies, standard school deadline)
- After December 15th - Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1 for the Statistics PhD program
- By January 1st - Statistics PhD program must receive your fully completed application (including all required applicant information, letters of recommendation, unofficial test scores, copies of transcripts)
- January - February - Interviews scheduled
- February - Interviews held
- February-March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- August - Orientation