Postdoc Snapshot 2019
2020 Snapshot 2018 Snapshot 2017 Snapshot 2016 Snapshot 2015 Snapshot
This report provides a July 1, 2019 snapshot of information related to University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry postdoctoral appointees.
A Postdoctoral Appointment involves substantially full-time research or scholarship. It is a transitional position and is viewed as preparatory for an academic and/or research career. The appointee is not part of a clinical training program. The appointee was recently awarded the PhD or equivalent doctorate, works under the supervision of a faculty member and has the freedom and is expected to publish the results of his/her research or scholarship during the period of the appointment.
There are a total of 153 postdoctoral appointees in the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
Titles and Job Codes
- 96 (63%) hold primary appointments as Postdoctoral Associates (job code 0093). Postdoctoral Associates are typically funded by research grants or institutional funds.
- 33 (22%) hold primary appointments as Visiting Postdoctoral Fellows (job code 0094). Visiting Postdoctoral Fellows are typically funded by organizations other than the U of R.
- 24 (16%) hold primary appointments as Postdoctoral Fellows (job code 0095). Postdoctoral Fellows are typically funded by training grants or individual postdoctoral fellowships.
- 8 (5%) hold dual postdoctoral appointments.
Departments and Advisors
There are postdocs appointed in more than 30 basic science and clinical departments and divisions throughout the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The seven departments/divisions/centers with the largest number of postdocs are Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute, Biochemistry and Biophysics, the Center for Musculoskeletal Research, Environmental Medicine, Microbiology & Immunology, and the Center for Translational Neuromedicine.
102 School of Medicine and Dentistry faculty members advise at least one postdoc.
9 Postdocs are funded by individual postdoctoral fellowships: American Cancer Society (1), American Heart Association (5), and National Institutes of Health (3).
The average age of School of Medicine and Dentistry postdocs is 33.
- The average age for Postdoctoral Associates is 34.
- The average age for Visiting Postdoctoral Fellows is 32.
- The average age for Postdoctoral Fellows is 31.
- 97 (63%) postdocs are foreign nationals.
- 53 (35%) postdocs are US citizens.
- 3 (2%) postdocs are US permanent residents.
Foreign nationals represent 20 countries throughout the world including: Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada (2), China (47), Egypt, France (2), Germany, India (16), Israel, Italy, Japan (8), Mexico, Nigeria, South Korea (4), Spain (2), Sri Lanka, Taiwan (3), Thailand (2).
Foreign nationals hold the following visa types:
- J-1/J-2: 82 (85%)
- F-1 OPT: 11 (11%)
- H1-B: 4 (4%)
- 64 (42%) postdocs are female.
- 89 (58%) postdocs are male.
Race and Ethnicity (US citizens and permanent residents only)
5 (3%) are from racial and/or ethnic groups underrepresented in science (Hispanic or Latino/a, African American or Black, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander)
Doctoral Degrees Held
Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow
Countries in Which Doctoral Degrees were Earned
Doctoral degrees were earned in 21 countries throughout the world including: Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Grenada, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States.
Doctoral degrees were earned in more than 100 institutions throughout the world.
Postdocs received their degrees in the following disciplines:
- Agricultural Science (1)
- Biochemistry (11)
- Biological Sciences, General/Other (4)
- Biology (4)
- Biomedical Engineering (2)
- Biomedical Sciences (7)
- Biophysics (2)
- Biotechnology (3)
- Brain and Cognitive Sciences (1)
- Cancer Research/Oncology (2)
- Cell Biology (3)
- Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology (1)
- Clinical Psychology (2)
- Computer Vision and Visual Surveillance (1)
- Dentistry (1)
- Developmental Biology/Embryology (1)
- Education (1)
- Environmental Health (1)
- Epidemiology (1)
- Experimental Medicine (1)
- Food Microbiology (1)
- Genetics (5)
- Hearing Science (1)
- Hematology (2)
- Immunology (3)
- Infectious Diseases (1)
- Information and Media Science (1)
- Kinesiology (1)
- Medical Science (1)
- Medicinal/Pharmaceutical Chemistry (4)
- Medicine, Clinical (MD) (33)
- Microbiology (5)
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology (1)
- Molecular Biology (5)
- Neuroscience (11)
- Neurosurgery (2)
- Pathology (5)
- Pharmacology/Drug Discovery (6)
- Pharmacy (1)
- Physiology (3)
- Preventive Veterinary Medicine (1)
- Psychological and Brain Sciences (1)
- Psychology (1)
- Public Health (2)
- Robotics, Brain and Cognitive Sciences (1)
- Statistics (1)
- Surgery (4)
- Toxicology (3)
- Translational Biomedical Science (1)
- Urology (1)
- Veterinary Medicine (2)
- Vision Science (1)