Core Professional Values Statement
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics,
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
We are dedicated to superior clinical care, teaching and research that helps every child reach their desired potential. We support the MELIORA values embraced by the University of Rochester.
In addition to rigorous standards of honesty, accountability, and pursuit of research, education and clinical care, we firmly believe and practice mutual respect and open communication. We seek to make the setting in which each member of the Division works, whether clinical, educational, administrative or research, a positive and safe environment.
Specifically, all members of the Division have the right to coexist in an environment that:
- Embodies compassion for the children and families we all ultimately serve;
- Is conducive to learning, teaching, working and providing care;
- Encourages each member of the Division to excel;
- Fosters considerate, respectful, and professional behavior;
- Does not make members feel unsafe, either emotionally or physically;
- Is free from belittlement, hostility, and unwanted physical, verbal, or sexual interactions;
- Demonstrates respect for diversity of opinion, race, sex and gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, political views, recognizing all the complexity of being human individuals; and
- Encourages and enables optimal performance of tasks that are within the scope of one’s work and training.
We have an ongoing commitment to uphold these values and to instill them in new members of the Division by education and by example. We expect that our colleagues will help us individually and jointly to live up to the behaviors and responsibilities these values imply.
We are further committed to observing the policies and procedures by which the Department and University regulate adherence to our professional shared values.
Endorsed by acclamation by Neonatology Faculty
Note: This document is intended to supplement, not abrogate or replace, the specific values to which we aspire in our varying roles as employees, clinicians, teachers, researchers and/or administrators.