Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship
The Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship Program at the University of Rochester provides a supportive environment in which trainees can pursue their interests as they develop the skills to become outstanding academic pediatric nephrologists.
Dedicated to Offering a Supportive Learning Environment
- Our faculty are strongly committed to education, mutual support and wellness as is evident in all interactions with faculty and fellows.
- Our approach enables fellows to become outstanding pediatric nephrologists while at the same time customizing their training and scholarly pursuits according to their interest and career goals.
- Our faculty have a broad range of expertise so trainees are exposed to clinical and research expertise across the field.
- Our Children’s Hospital has been recognized as one of the nation’s best children’s hospitals for Pediatric Nephrology by the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospital ranking!
- The President of the American Society of Pediatric Nephrology, Dr. Patrick Brophy, is our Pediatric Department Chair!
- Dr. George Schwartz, who developed the “Bedside Schwartz formula” for estimating glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in children and adolescents and who is an expert in renal tubular disorders and measurement of GFR in children, is an active member of our faculty!
- Dr. Marc Lande is an expert in the cognitive effects of hypertension in children and holds an NIH grant (top 1% of applications!) to support his research of this condition.
- Trainees have the opportunity to interact with experts across many diverse areas of Nephrology through our collaboration with our adult nephrology colleagues.
- We and our patients have the support of a multidisciplinary team that includes a dedicated pediatric renal dietitian, nurse practitioner, registered nurse and social worker!
The Heart and Soul of our Culture
The University of Rochester Medical Center is the birthplace of the Biopsychosocial approach to patient care. This construct is the heart and soul of the culture of the institution and of the department. It is reflected in and consistent with the expressed values of a dedicated faculty. It is further evident in the department and institution’s commitment to trainee and provider wellness. These core institutional values provide a strong and supportive learning environment for trainees to develop their clinical, scholarly and advocacy skills.
Support for an Advanced Degree
In addition to the 95% tuition waiver for University employees, the division is extremely supportive of fellows pursuing an advanced degree/certificate program by providing dedicated time for coursework.
Opportunity to Become Dual Certified
Our internal medicine-pediatrics trained applicants can pursue a combined four-year curriculum enabling them to be certified in both pediatric and adult nephrology.
Ready for Success
100% of our graduating fellows passed the nephrology subspecialty board exam on the first try. A high level of clinical and research mentorship throughout fellowship training has contributed to this exceptional board pass rate.
- Our Golisano Children's Hospital which opened 2015 is a modern state-of-the art facility that has literally transformed the way we care for children in Upstate New York.
- Our Hypertension and Lipids Clinic is a highly successful collaboration between Pediatric Nephrology and Cardiology which provides first-rate experience in treating children with hypertension.
- To educate fellows to be outstanding academic pediatric nephrologists with competency in all aspects of the field.
- To create a positive learning environment that supports autonomy, provides guidance and offers a wide variety of learning experiences so that fellows can attain the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue their personal interests and achieve their career goals.
- To create a robust model program to promote and support fellow well-being and balance.
- To attract exceptional trainees to the University of Rochester Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship Program and work to promote Pediatric Nephrology as a stimulating career choice.