If now sounds like a good time to quit smoking, you can tap into many community resources.
URMC Healthy Living
The URMC Healthy Living Center offers a Tobacco Dependence Program to help those who use tobacco improve their health, regardless of their desire to stop. Individual counseling is provided; a treatment plan typically includes four to six appointments, the first of which is in-person but the remaining can be done by phone. The Healthy Living Center is located at 46 Prince St. with plenty of free parking. Call (585) 530-2050 for information.
New York State Smokers' Quitline
Some smokers are more likely to quit with the structure of a group support, but others may prefer to get one-on-one help via the telephone. If this sounds like you, try the New York State Smokers' Quitline. It offers:
- A free starter kit of nicotine patches, gum or lozenges for eligible NYS smokers
- Trained Quitline Specialists offering help with quit plans
- Information about local stop smoking programs
- Informational taped messages
Call the NYS Smokers' Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487).
Ready to Quit?
Here are a few good tips if you are ready to quit smoking:
- Set a quit date.
- Tell family, friends, and co-workers of your quit plan.
- Get rid of all tobacco products.
- Know your triggers.
- Drink lots of water and juice.
- Use hard candy or gum.
- Keep your hands busy.
- Begin an exercise plan.
- Reward yourself.