UR Medicine Plastic Surgery
160 Sawgrass Dr.
Rochester, NY 14620
Strong Memorial Hospital
Kessler Burn Center
601 Elmwood Ave.
Rochester, NY 14642
- Appointment: (585) 275-2876
- Fax: (585) 276-1985
- Accepting New Patients
- Admits to Strong Memorial Hospital
- Admits to Highland Hospital
Derek E. Bell, M.D.
The University of Rochester Medical Center is pleased to announce the addition of Derek Edward Bell, MD. Dr. Bell received his Bachelor of Science degree with honors from St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York. He then went on to earn his medical degree from Upstate Medical University at Syracuse in Syracuse, New York.
Prior to joining URMC, Dr. Bell completed his general surgery residency at the State University of Buffalo in Buffalo, New York. Most recently he was a plastic and reconstructive surgery fellow with The University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Dr. Bell has been involved in several plastic and reconstructive research studies focusing on surgical treatment for cleft palate; advances in ganglion cyst excision using the methylene blue injection technique and endoscopic abdominal diastases plication, among others. He has also volunteered with Physicians for Peace-Smile Train to assist in the surgical correction of cleft lips, palates and noses in underserved areas of the Dominican Republic as well as with SC Hope, where he provided free healthcare to homeless patients.
In addition to being the recipient of numerous awards and honors including the Arthur P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, Dr. Bell was a presidential scholar, a national recognition. He is an associate member of The American College of Surgeons.
Areas of Focus
Education & Training
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship | The University of Virginia Medical Center — 2009
- General Surgery Residency | State University of New York of Buffalo — 2007
- MD | Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical Center — 2002
- BS | Biology | St John Fisher College — 1998
- General Surgery at Buffalo General Hospital — 2003-2007
- Plastic Surgery at University of Virginia Medical Center — 2007-2009
View My Research Profile.