Robert L. Strawderman, ScD
My major research area is survival analysis. More generally, I am interested in statistical inference for point process data (e.g., recurrent events); statistical methods for risk and outcome prediction in medicine, epidemiology and public health; statistical and computational methods for high dimensional data; statistical methods for evaluating the cost and quality of health care; asymptotics (theory and approximation); and various problems in statistical computing.
Selected Publications (since 2009)
- Strawderman RL, Wells MT, Schifano ED (2013). Hierarchical Bayes, maximum a posteriori estimators, and minimax concave penalized likelihood estimation. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 7, 973-990.
- Liu L, Strawderman RL, Johnson B, O’Quigley J (2012). Analyzing repeated measures semi-continuous data, with application to an alcohol dependence study. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, electronic: DOI: 10.1177/0962280212443324
- Lostritto KL, Strawderman RL, Molinaro AM (2012). A partitioning deletion/subsitution/addition algorithm for creating survival risk groups. Biometrics, 68: 1146-1156.
- Johnson LM, Strawderman RL (2012). A smoothing expectation and substitution algorithm for the semiparametric accelerated failure time frailty model. Statistics in Medicine, 31: 2335-2358.
- Strawderman RL, Wells MT (2011). On hierarchical prior specifications and penalized likelihood. Contemporary Developments in Bayesian Analysis and Statistical Decision Theory : A Festschrift for William E. Strawderman. IMS Collections, Volume 8, 154-180.
- Schifano E, Strawderman RL, Wells MT (2010). MM Algorithms for minimizing nonsmoothly penalized objective functions. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 4: 1258-1299.
- Sharef E, Strawderman RL, Ruppert D, Cowen ME, Halasyamani L (2010). Adaptive Bayesian adaptive B-spline estimation in proportional hazards frailty models. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 4: 606-642.
- Liu L, Strawderman RL, Cowen ME, Shih T (2010). A flexible two-part random effects model for correlated medical cost data. Journal of Health Economics, 29: 110-123.
- Johnson LM and Strawderman RL (2009). Induced smoothing for the semiparametric accelerated failure time model: asymptotics and extensions to clustered data. Biometrika, 96: 577-590.
- Clement DY and Strawderman RL (2009). Conditional GEE for recurrent event gap times. Biostatistics, 10: 451-467.
- Cowen ME, Czerwinski JL, Posa PJ, Van Hoek E, Mattimore J, Halasyamani LK, Strawderman RL (2014). Implementation of a Mortality Prediction Rule for Real Time Decision-Making: Feasibility and Validity. Journal of Hospital Medicine, 9, 720-726.
- Milano MT, Strawderman RL, Venigalla S, Ng K, Travis LB (2014). Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer After Breast Cancer: A Population-Based Study of Clinicopathologic Characteristics and Survival Outcomes in 3,529 Women. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 9: 1081-1090.
- McGarry B, Li Y, Strawderman RL (2014). THE CARE SPAN – Lower Hispanic Participation In Medicare Part D May Reflect Program Barriers. Health Affairs, 33, 856-862.
- Nyweide DJ, Anthony DL, Bynum JPW, Strawderman RL, Weeks WB, Casalino LP, Fisher ES (2013). Continuity of Care and Risk of Preventable Hospitalization in Older Adults. Journal of the American Medical Association: Internal Medicine, 173(20), 1879-1885.
- Cowen M and Strawderman RL (2013) Mortality predictions on admission as a context for organizing care activities. Journal of Hospital Medicine, 8, 229-235.
- Heisler M, Halasyamani L, Cowen ME, Davis MD, Resnicow K, Strawderman RL, Choi H, Mase R, Piette JD (2013). A randomized controlled effectiveness trial of reciprocal peer support in heart failure. Circulation: Heart Failure, 6(2), 246-253.
- Ryan A, Burgess J, Strawderman RL, Dimick J. (2012). What is the best way to estimate hospital quality outcomes? A simulation approach. Health Services Research, 47: 1699-1718.
- Menda G, Bar HY, Arthur BJ, Rivlin PK, Wyttenbach RA, Strawderman RL, Hoy RR (2011). Classical conditioning through auditory signals in Drosophila: methods and models. Journal of Experimental Biology, 214: 2864-2870.
- Aronow H, Strawderman RL, Moscucci M, Cowen ME (2011). Use of evidence-based medical therapies and the hazard for atherothrombotic events following percutaneous coronary intervention. International Journal of Cardiology, 153: 262-266.
- Smith RL, Strawderman RL, Schukken YH, Wells SJ, Pradhan AK, Espejo LA, Whitlock RH, Van Kessel JS, Smith JM, Wolfgang DR, Grohn YT (2010). The effect of Johne's disease status on reproduction and culling in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 93: 3513-3524.