Wilmot Cancer Institute / About Us / Patient Safety & Satisfaction
Patient Safety & Satisfaction
Quality care and patient satisfaction are at the core of Wilmot Cancer Institute’s mission, and they are central to continually improving services for our patients and their families.
As a component of Strong Memorial Hospital, Wilmot Cancer Institute participates in the quality and safety initiatives that guide all of the care provided through the University of Rochester Medical Center. In addition, Wilmot strives to exceed standards for oncology care nationwide and regularly evaluates the processes and outcomes that affect patients every day.
Wilmot’s Chief Quality and Safety Officer leads a team that oversees quality and safety initiatives across all of Wilmot’s locations. The team, which regularly reviews policies and systems, also responds to feedback from patients and families, and it closely monitors quality metrics and outcomes from across Wilmot.
Wilmot Cancer Institute is recognized as a leader in providing quality cancer care with the following accreditations:
- As part of the University of Rochester Medical Center and Strong Memorial Hospital, Wilmot is Magnet Certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Wilmot Cancer Institute is a QOPI® Certified Practice. Certification by the QOPI Certification Program is an acknowledgement that this practice meets certain defined quality and safety standards in the administration of cancer care. Wilmot was among the first academic medical centers in the nation to be certified by QOPI.
- Radiation Oncology at Wilmot Cancer Institute’s seven locations that offer these services is accredited by the American College of Radiology.
- Wilmot’s Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta is accredited by the American College of Surgeons National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. It is the only center in the Rochester region to achieve this designation.
- Wilmot’s Blood and Marrow Transplant Program has been continuously accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) since 2000. Wilmot is accredited for all types of adult and pediatric blood and marrow transplantation, as well as collection and processing procedures.
Wilmot continually seeks feedback from patients about the care and services we provide. Each year, we distribute thousands of surveys to our patients and their families to evaluate the care they received and provide any additional comments about their experience.
We review every survey and use the results to guide improvements to the care and services we provide to patients and their families.