The Wilmot Cancer Institute invites and encourages all University of Rochester faculty who have a strong cancer focus and commitment to collaboration to become members of the Institute. Institute members form a community of scientists committed to investigating the causes, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer. Through interdisciplinary collaborations, program project grants, regular meetings of research programs and disease working groups, and research retreats, Wilmot members collaborate to expand and broaden the Institute’s portfolio of path-breaking research. Wilmot Cancer Institute members hold cancer-related research grants that provide support of more than $23 million per year, have increased funding from the National Cancer Institute by 50% since 2016, and have increased accrual to cancer clinical trials by 75% since 2015.
Institute members actively participate in Wilmot program meetings or research committees. They are invited to attend Wilmot seminars and research retreats. Members receive discounted rates for Wilmot shared resources and are eligible for Wilmot funding opportunities.
Complete the Wilmot Membership Interest Form.
To learn more about becoming a Wilmot member, please contact Thom Fogg, Assistant Director for Research Administration, at Thomas_Fogg@urmc.rochester.edu or (585) 275-5249.
- Actively participate in Wilmot research program meetings or a disease working group
- Provide updated information at least annually for required Cancer Center Support Grant reporting, including regarding cancer-relevant extramural funding, NIH biosketch, publications, and leadership roles (nationally and institutionally)
- Acknowledge use of Wilmot-supported shared resources or support from Wilmot research development awards or pilot project funding
- Participate in Wilmot seminars, retreats, and other programs and offerings
- Actively participate in appointed Wilmot committees (e.g., pilot grant review committees, Protocol Review Committee, Data and Safety Monitoring Committee)
Wilmot membership is open to all salaried University of Rochester faculty who have made significant contributions in terms of time, effort or resources to the development of cancer research within Wilmot. Members will be assigned to one of two categories: “members”, who will be listed as members for Cancer Center Support Grant purposes, and “associate members” who will be mentored and encouraged to work toward the “member” category.
Members will satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Serve as PI, multiple PI or subproject PI for an extramural peer-reviewed, cancer-relevant, funded research project award
- Serve as PI for an investigator-initiated clinical research study
- Enroll 15 or more participants in interventional cancer research studies over the last 12-month period
- Serve in a leadership position in the NCI National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN) or other cancer-related, NIH-funded cooperative research group (e.g., national PI for a specific study, or NCTN Committee Chair).
- Serve in a key Wilmot leadership role that facilitates the development, implementation, and evaluation of research (e.g., shared resource director, Chair of the Data and Safety Monitoring Committee)