Support Groups and Community Resources
Support groups provide opportunities to connect with others who are facing cancer and to share experiences, ideas and support with each other. Through Wilmot Cancer Institute, support groups are available for many different specific conditions. These programs are free and open to the public.
For more information about these support groups or to be added to a group's distribution list, please contact the Wilmot Community Resource Help Line at (585) 276-4708 or WilmotCommunityResHelp@urmc.rochester.edu.
- Adult Brain Tumor Network: For those with a diagnosis of a primary brain tumor and their caregivers. Meets monthly on a Monday from 4-6 p.m. in the second-floor conference room of Wilmot Cancer Center (Room 2.0727).
- Caregivers Group: Information and support for caregivers of individuals with any form of cancer. Meets on the second Wednesday of the month from noon-1:30 p.m. in the Luellen Patient & Family Resource Center (Room 1.0701) at Wilmot Cancer Center.
- Gastro-Intestinal Cancer Support Group: For those with pancreatic, colorectal, liver, esophageal, stomach and other GI cancers and their care partners. Meets monthly in the Luellen Patient & Family Resource Center (Room 1.0701) at Wilmot Cancer Center.
- Melanoma/Skin Cancer Support Group: For those with melanoma or skin cancer and their care partners. Meets the third Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Formicola Conference Room (Room 2.0727) at Wilmot Cancer Center.
- Southern Tier Caregivers Support Group: For those who live in the Southern Tier region and are caring for a loved one with cancer. Meets the third Tuesday of each month from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Noyes Memorial Hospital Conference Room C.
- Support for People with Oral, Head & Neck Cancer (SPOHNC-Rochester): The group is a local chapter of SPOHNC (Support for People with Oral, Head & Neck Cancer) for those with oral, head and neck cancers and their caregivers. Meets on the first Thursday of the month (except July) from 5-6:30 p.m. in the Luellen Patient & Family Resource Center (Room 1.701) at Wilmot Cancer Center.
Connection to Community Resources
A cancer diagnosis can have a major impact on your life and the lives of your family members and loved ones. A variety of free or low-cost community resources are available throughout upstate New York to help support you and your family. In addition to the programs and services Wilmot provides, we can help connect you with:
- Local and national organizations focused on your special needs.
- Specialized support groups and programs in your area.
- Educational resources for you and your loved ones.
- Information on short-term lodging.
To learn more about community resources in your area, please call (585) 276-4708 or email WilmotCommunityResHelp@urmc.rochester.edu.