Monroe County OPWDD Community and Home Intervention and Response Program (CHIRP)
CHIRP Program Information Flyer | Call (585) 275-5599 for an Appointment
We provide short term, community-based support to children and adults experiencing intense challenging behaviors.
In order to be eligible, the person being must:
- Live in Monroe County
- Live with a family member who can participate in treatment and is willing to learn new ways to help with the behavior challenges.
- Have OPWDD eligibility
CHIRP is supported through a grant from the OPWDD Family Support Services program. There is no cost to families.
Who We Help
Children, teens and adults with developmental disabilities AND ongoing challenging behaviors such as:
- Aggression (hurting others)
- Running off from caregivers
- Serious property destruction
These behaviors are considered a crisis when there are:
- Problems keeping the person safe
- Problems keeping others safe
- Risk of losing home and community supports
- Risk of losing school or daycare placement
First Steps for New Families
This is not an emergency service. If your family or family is in need of emergency help, please call 9-1-1. Our team will attempt to speak on the phone with a family within 24 hrs. of contacting the program. We also will attempt to meet the family the same week.
Help and Support
We work with families for a short time to understand why a behavior is happening and teach caregivers ways to help. We do this by:
- Learning about the person and family, observing challenging behaviors
- Asking caregivers to track challenging behaviors
- Developing a behavior plan, which may include:
- Ways caregivers can prevent behaviors
- Helping caregivers use new skills to increase desired behaviors
- Helping the person develop ways to communicate other than challenging behavior
- Teaching caregivers to use the behavior plan
- Linking family to longer term services, if needed
Referrals can be made by families, medical or mental health providers, or developmental disability service providers. However, we ask that a caregiver call to start services.
Our Service Team