Education / Faculty Development / Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp
Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp
Co-sponsored by the University of Rochester Clinical & Translational Science Institute and SMD Office for Faculty Development
Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp is designed to help Senior Instructors and Assistant Professors identify the skills they need for more successful career advancement. The format will be monthly virtual meetings, occurring the second Wednesday of the month, from 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., allowing for continuity and focus, and networking among faculty members. Participants are asked to commit to attending all sessions. There is no charge for URMC faculty members, however space is limited. CME credits are provided.
The Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp course is held biennially. Please watch for a new call for applications in Spring, 2023.
Course content includes:
Framing your Career
- Academic career planning
- Identifying a mentor, being a mentee, separating
- Promotion and tenure
- Examples of successful careers as a basic researcher, clinical researcher, educator
Local Resources available to Foster Career Development Research
- Making your own path to success in academic research
- Funding support
- Role of career development grants
- Understanding the NIH grant review process
- Discussion with journal editors
- Advancing your career as an educator
- Transforming your educational activities into scholarship
- Development of an educator’s portfolio
Wellness and Work-Life Balance
- Institutional initiatives and resources
Please feel free to contact the course directors, Ronnie Guillet, MD, PhD or Janine Shapiro, MD , if questions arise.