Junior Faculty Biomedical Research Association
The URSMD Junior Faculty Biomedical Research Association (JFBRA) is an academic peer group designed to serve the unique needs of early-stage PhD and MD faculty to promote their success in scientific discovery, funding, publications, mentoring, teaching and service to the University of Rochester and the greater Rochester community.
Purpose and Goals
- Provide a forum for junior faculty to interact and to discuss the tasks and challenges that they face in establishing successful independent research programs.
- Foster collaborations among basic research and clinical research faculty.
- Facilitate communication among junior faculty through newsletters, emails, and JFBRA meetings.
Target Group Members
Any junior faculty starting an independent research program in basic, translational, and/or clinical sciences. Examples include but are not limited to Assistant Professors in the early stages of their careers, Research Assistant Professors and Senior Instructors.
- Discussion groups to provide peer support for specific topics (decided by group).
- Interactive presentations and mentoring from senior faculty.
- Structured networking sessions with junior faculty.
The JRBRA meets four times a year. Meetings for 2016-2017:
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM -- Center for Experiential Learning, Room 2-7520
- Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM -- Center for Experiential Learning, Room 2-7544
- Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM -- Center for Experiential Learning, Room 2-7520
Michael (Rusty) Elliott, PhD
Assistant Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology
Michelle Janelsins, PhD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology
Wilmot Cancer Center
Senior Faculty Advisor
Stephen Dewhurst, PhD
Vice Dean for Research
Professor and Chair, Department of Microbiology and Immunology