Kathleen Mannava, M.D.
Assistant Professor -Department of Dermatology (SMD)
Assistant Professor -Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (SMD) - Joint
This fellowship is customizable to either pathology or dermatology backgrounds:
- Fellows with a pathology background will spend 50 percent of their time in dermatology clinic for 8 of the 12 fellowship months.
- Fellows with a dermatology background will spend 50 percent of the same 8 out of 12 months rotating through pathology subspecialties including surgical pathology, hematopathology, molecular, bone and soft tissue, and cytopathology.
- The fellow will sign out with three different faculty, and thus experience three different styles of the practice of dermatopathology.
- Some signout sessions will be low in volume, but with a high percentage of challenging consult cases and the opportunity to discuss rare diagnoses. Other sessions will be higher in volume, and provide necessary repetition for the fellow to become confident in their diagnostic abilities.
- Additional sessions will be of moderate volume, with the use of clinical photographs to incorporate clinical pathologic correlation. Throughout the year long training the fellow will have graduated responsibility in signing out these cases. Attendance at multidisciplinary and departmental conferences and lectures will be required.
- The fellow will also present at conferences, and be involved in teaching dermatopathology to dermatology and pathology residents.