How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Neurology Residency Program at the University of Rochester.
Applicants to the Neurology Residency Program must be graduates of an approved U.S. or Canadian Medical School, or foreign medical graduates who have a valid ECFMG certificate by the ranking deadline. We sponsor J-1 Visas.
All applications for the Neurology Residency Program at the University of Rochester must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). For information about ERAS, contact the HelpDesk (202) 862-6264, Monday-Friday 8am-6pm ET. ERAS requires you to send them a personal statement and three letters of reference. Your medical school transcript, USMLE scores for Steps 1 and 2, and the MSPE letter will be automatically uploaded into the ERAS database.
Please ensure that you have registered with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). For information about the National Residency Match Program, applicants should contact the Help Desk specialists at +1(866) 653-6767.
The Adult Neurology Residency Program at the University of Rochester is a four-year categorical program in neurology that includes a preliminary (PGY-1) year of internal medicine training. This preliminary year is supervised by both the neurology and internal medicine program directors. The core curriculum of the first year is identical to that of the First Year Categorical Medicine residents. Eight resident positions are available per year.
Our deadline for receiving applications for PGY-1 positions beginning in July 2022 is November 1, 2021. We presently have no vacancies for neurology residency positions beginning in July 2021.
We take a comprehensive, holistic approach to reviewing all applications received from both U.S. and international candidates.
- Interviews take place on Mondays, from October through December. Due to the COVID pandemic, all interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
- On Sunday evening, applicants will meet virtually with our current Neurology residents in small break-out groups to get a feel for the program in an informal setting.
- The interview program will begin on Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. and will conclude no later than 3 p.m.
- The interview program includes:
- Attending a live Morning Report with the program director
- Orientation meeting with the Neurology chair and program directors
- Tours of the clinical facilities conducted by two of our chief residents
- A virtual “lunch” with the neurology residents who will present a short slide show concerning life as a Rochester neurology resident
- Individual Zoom interviews with members of the faculty.
Brief, pre-recorded presentations by faculty members discussing:
- Neuro-palliative care
- Diversity and inclusion
- Wellness initiatives
- Mentorship program
- Research opportunities for neurology residents
- The PGY-1 internal medicine year
Applicants should indicate any specific clinical or investigative interests so additional interviews can be arranged.
Learn all about living in Rochester, detailing events, local culture, the medical center and our college town
All correspondence concerning the residency program should be addressed to:
Ralph F. Jozefowicz, M.D.
c/o Ms. Clara J. Vigelette
Neurology Residency Program Administrator
Department of Neurology
University of Rochester Medical Center
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 673
Rochester, NY 14642
You may also contact the Program Office via telephone, fax, or through email:
Phone: (585) 275-2545 (weekdays 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EST)
Fax: (585) 244-2529