Welcome from Program Director
Welcome to the Pathology Residency Program at the University of Rochester! Our fully accredited training program is structured with a great deal of flexibility and personalization to prepare residents for a wide range of practice settings including academic and community practice. We offer combined (4 year), integrated training in anatomical and clinical pathology (AP/CP-4), focused (3 year) training in anatomic pathology (AP-3) alone, and focused (3 year) training in clinical pathology (CP-3) alone.
For residents preparing for careers in academic medicine centered on basic science or clinical research, we also offer a departmentally sponsored research year out that can lead to the Physician-Scientist Research Pathway certification by the American Board of Pathology. Students in the University of Rochester Medical School can also apply for a unique opportunity as a Pathology year-out student fellow (YOSF). Students selected as year-out fellows complement our resident staff as externs. In keeping with the basic philosophy of our department, all programs can be tailored to meet specific career objectives of our trainees.
Our program blends:
- Academic excellence
- A supportive, collegial, and fun learning environment
- Thoughtful resident curriculum designed to meet the changing needs of future pathologists
- A wonderfully livable, low cost, moderate-sized city brimming with cultural activities and minutes away from a broad range of outdoor activities in New York's Finger Lakes region
- A welcoming learning community where you will find great friends and colleagues
- Nationally renowned, dedicated faculty individually committed to your success
- Subspecialty expertise that allows your professional interests to be explored and developed
- Academic excellence with research expertise in applied and basic sciences
Our Laboratories process:
- Over 7 million laboratory examinations annually, including 200+ autopsies and 146,000 anatomic pathology specimen tests
We hope that gives you a good idea of what our program looks like. Please take a moment and explore the rest of our site to learn about the many reasons why you will love learning and training at URMC and living in Rochester, NY.
Linda M. Schiffhauer, M.D.
Pathology Residency Program