How to Apply
We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and therefore candidates must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service ERAS. Applications are accepted from September through December, with interviews scheduled between November and January. Complete applications will include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE/COMLEX Transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation in addition to the MSPE. Applicants with previous residency experience should include a letter from the residency program director.
- Personal Statement
- ECFMG Statement (if applicable)
For questions regarding the PM&R Residency Program at the University of Rochester Medical Center, please contact Cathy Flanagan , Residency Program Coordinator.
Minimum qualifications for our Program include:
- A medical degree, such as M.D., D.O., or M.B.B.S.
- Successful completion of Step I of the United States Medical Licensing Examination or COMLEX Part I (for Osteopathic graduates), preferably on first attempt
- Graduation from medical school no more than five years prior to application year
- International medical graduates (IMGs) may apply. In addition to the requirements above, IMGs must have successfully completed USMLE Step 2 and must be ECFMG certified by February 1st. If an applicant is not a U.S. citizen, they must possess a J-1 Visa or permanent resident status.
Applications for the residency program are reviewed and considered starting in September. Interviews occur between October and December and are scheduled on select Fridays and Saturdays throughout these months. Qualified candidates are notified by email inviting them to interview with our Program.
There are two interview sessions, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Applicants attend only one session, which includes a thorough overview of the Program by the Program Director. Candidates will interview one-on-one with the Program Director and two - three members of the faculty. While we appreciate candidates' enthusiasm to secure a residency spot soon after interview, we do not offer pre-Match positions.
Applicants are invited to a Friday night social with a group of current residents, so please plan to stay if you are interviewing on Friday, or come in the night before if you are interviewing on Saturday. These residents do not sit on the selection committee and are interested only in answering questions and helping candidates learn about the program in general.
Travel and Lodging
A number of area hotels offer special rates for incoming resident applicants including the Holiday Inn Downtown, and the Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport.
Located in the heart of the historic district, you will find the Memorial Art Gallery and the historic Eastman Museum, as well as many different types of restaurants and nightlife. Most hotels offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport/ hotel/ and medical center.