How to Apply
What our residents say...
"The culture of compassion along with the constant drive to improve the program were what brought me to Rochester. Everyone here really cares about you, not just about helping you reach your professional goals but also about you as a person."
We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and therefore candidates must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service ERAS. Applications are accepted through November 31, with interviews scheduled between November and January. Complete applications will include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE/COMLEX Transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation in addition to the MSPE. Applicants with previous residency experience should include a letter from the residency program director
- Personal Statement and short explanation of why you are applying to our program
- ECFMG Statement (if applicable)
For questions regarding the PM&R Residency Program at the University of Rochester Medical Center, please contact Cathy Flanagan , Residency Program Coordinator.
Minimum qualifications for our Program include:
- A medical degree, such as M.D., D.O., or M.B.B.S.
- Successful completion of Step I of the United States Medical Licensing Examination or COMLEX Part I (for Osteopathic graduates), preferably on first attempt
- Graduation from medical school no more than five years prior to application year
- International medical graduates (IMGs) may apply. In addition to the requirements above, IMGs must have successfully completed USMLE Step 2 and must be ECFMG certified by February 1st. If an applicant is not a U.S. citizen, they must possess a J-1 Visa or permanent resident status.
Applications for the residency program are reviewed and considered starting in October. Interviews occur between November and January and are scheduled on select Thursday mornings throughout these months. Qualified candidates are notified via Thalamus self-scheduling system by email inviting them to interview and schedule with our Program.
Candidates will interview one-on-one with the Program Director and four members of the faculty. There is also opportunity to speak with several current residents for including interns through chiefs. While we appreciate candidates' enthusiasm to secure a residency spot soon after interview, we do not offer pre-Match positions.
Travel and Lodging
A number of area hotels offer special rates for incoming resident applicants including the Holiday Inn Downtown, and the Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport.
Located in the heart of the historic district, you will find the Memorial Art Gallery and the historic Eastman Museum, as well as many different types of restaurants and nightlife. Most hotels offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport/ hotel/ and medical center.